Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

You would think...

Old 05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default You would think...

...that a veteran turkey hunter could kill a lonesome, gobbling tom inside of 40 yards, especially if he gets two opportunities...

The first time a week ago, he snuck in quiet and my chest was reverberating everytime he spit-n-drummed, I paced it off to 6 steps.

Today he was difficult off the roost, but I fired him up about an hour later and he came in on a string, at ~7am. Again to my offhand, but I had seen him sneaking through the ferns and skunk cabbage, and was ready. This time he was saved by a 1inch sapling 3 feet away, bent over almost horizontal to the ground, 45 degrees behind my setup and the only thing between us besides air. His head, not more than 35 yards away, was directly occluded by the sapling. This is a wary old gobbler, always circling and never waiting more than a few seconds before clucking his way to safety. He has been hunted before, but not by me...

I've got 6 more gorgeous days (finally!), and this wary old swamp gobbler has his name tatooed on a special place, the passenger-side floormat in my truck!!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You would think...

S&R , you and I have to get togeather sometime for a hunt and I could show you how you could have killed that Gobbler 35yards away. Boy it took me 3 years to train Jalvja how to kill them tough shots and he finely did it this spring.

Now I think he trusts what I tell him ...BT
Old 05-20-2006, 05:28 PM

Yeah, one has to watch out for those saplin's.
I had one save a decent buck I let a 300 WinMag at last fall.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Boss, ya got mail
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

O man Sorry S&R , you may have to send me more mail because I deleted all my PM's and must of missed the new one. I'm so tired that I can't think. Off to bed , I'll read it tomorrow ...BT