Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What causes a "striped" beard?  see pic >

What causes a "striped" beard? see pic

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What causes a "striped" beard? see pic

Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What causes a "striped" beard? see pic

I apologize for the bad resolution, but perhaps somebody else can come up with a better picture. But, if you look closely, you can see a band of discoloration in this bird's beard, about halfway down.

I've taken a few birds over the years with aband or stripe of discoloration (blonde or orange) going across their beards. On this one, it was very pronounced. On at least one occasion, I've seen where a beard has been weakened and fallen off at that point, looking like it was perfectly snipped with a pair of shears, leaving only a burned orange tip on each hair.

It looks like there was a period of stunted growth or malnutrition that leaves a permanent "imprint" in the beard.

I'm just wondering what causes this, and why in some cases the strands break, and in others, they stay intact.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Default RE: What causes a "striped" beard? see pic

It appears no one knows exactly what causes it, but there is some info in the middle of this:
http://www.panwtf.com/Wild%20Turkey%20Oddities.htm
Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to wonder if it has something to do with a mineral that they are lacking at one time in beard growth. It does look kinda neet and I have to say its been a long time since I have seen a beard with grey into Black colour. I like that look too.

You kill this Bad boy Quicky? ...BT
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, AJHbut I think it was back in2004. Don't mind the date on the picture- I took a digital picture of a 35mm picture - so that's why it seems blurry.

I still have the beard, and eventually when I run across the money, I might get a mount done (on another cape), given the unique nature. The picture doesn't do it justice, b/c it's a 10.5" beard and the bird was pretty big. It's been a while since I've seen a beard with a band that distinct that wasn't breaking strands. Like you said, it's a gray-to-black color change too.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

PARASITES.....my son shot one a few years back that had two stripes about and inch wide on it..looked like racing stripes..they were at the 4 and eight inch area...very very blond, stood out even when I first saw him...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

another question:

Does a beard grow from the bird down or from the end of the strand down? I've always wondered because the "new growth" or dark part is at the end of a beard, and as something ages, it tends to lose color, not gain it?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not 100% sure what causes beard rot(some say parasites,some say malnutrition),but the beard lacks the black pigment and is weaker at that point.As the bird brushes against bushes,hens...etc. it breaks off at that point,and then you have a short beard.As long as the beard doesn't get the weaker strands it should grow back to a good length in time.Beards usually grow pretty quick until they reach a certain length just like our hair does.Think about it I have seen jakes with 5" beards,and 2 yr olds with 9 1/2" beards.If a birds beard breaks off at 5" it could easily be 9 1/2" or so the following year.

MDmaniac The beard grows just like when we shave.Which is why you generally see these stripes in the beard,as the birds beard is growing,and it is under stress from either parasites or malnutrition.I haven't found a solid answer on that yet.Others say it is from extreme cold,but we (southern Ga) rarely see temps under 30 degrees so that can't be it.I have a good idea,but I can't say for sure either.This is just my theory.[8D]

I shot a bird this year with the exact same thing Quicksilver.

and here's one that was broken off like you were saying,this bird had 1 1/16" sharp spurs,and only a 6" beard with auburn tips

Old 05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

So do you know why a beard is darker at the bottom suggesting new growth rather than at the top?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

A skin like coating sticks to the bristles as they emerge from thebreastwhere the beard comes out of the skin.As the beard gets longer normal use wears that coating off.The part of the beard that appears lighter has that coating on it and is mainly protected by breast feathers.It has a greyish color to it,making it appear lighter.Takea beard and pluck a bristle from it,you can take your fingernails,or some 220 sandpaper,and scratch that coating off.It will be just as black under that coating as it is at theend of the beard.

As far as the auburn tips go.All young birds have that,some worse than others,you may even have to hold a beard to the light to see them.It is lack of the black pigment that causes that.There are 2 ways it gets there.

1-When a young bird starts to grow his beard melanin production is low,and then increases as the beard lengthens.Melanin production usually stays steady then,and he will have a solid black beard with auburn tips.Until the beard is long enough to drag the ground.As it grows longer theauburn tipswear off.

2-A bird that has beard rot and loses part of it's beard will grow back out,and when it gets long enough to drag again the auburn tips wear back off.Some strands lack melanin,but are still strong enough to stay together like mine,and quicksilver's.

I know the results of beard rot,how a beard grows,but I still do not know exactly what causes the lack of melanin...hormones?genetics?parasites?nutrition?ID K for sure.Hope I helped..[8D]

Old 05-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

ahh thanks!

Quick Reply: What causes a "striped" beard? see pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.