Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bad Luck?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Bad Luck?

Today was day 4 of my 7 day hunt and so far this season the luck just hasn't been going my way. Day one we didn't see much of anything and didn't get in much hunting.

Day two started off well with seeing a few birds just never getting them to close the distance. We saw two large toms on private land and got permission to go after them and we managed to get them to gobble to our calls and strut out in the field but they wouldn't move an inch in our direction, and finally started to come in but spotted my friend as he stood up so he could draw his bow when they got there, and they ran. Then we saw a few small jakes and a hen being chased by a larger tom on some of our property and stocked as close as we could before stopping to call, we were both using our bows and were caught in an area with little cover when we realized they had started moving our way, they came to 25 yards and I had a shot at a jake when they saw us so I took the shot but went right between it's legs!

Day three went ok, though we only heard two gobbles in the morning and nothing would come into the calls. We picked up to move to another area and when we came back by there was a large tom out in the area we had been set up in the morning, we tried to stalk closer to him to get a better shot at cutting him off from the hen he was chasing but he completely dissapeared and we had no idea where he went.

Today, day four, went ok also, we saw a flock of about 7 roosted birds about two miles from some private land we had permission to hunt though none were moving in our direction and we couldn't get permission to go on the land they were on. Later today we were driving by a piece of property we own that we had been seeing a gobbler on later in the day and sure enough there was two large gobblers out there and I chased up on them, set up and called in a large gobbler to 24 paces before taking a shot at him with 12 ga. 3in 4 shot and watching him turn and run, then fly, then run some more and dissapear... I know i didn't miss... so HOW DID THAT NOT KILL HIM!!!!!

So overall the luck hasn't been going our way. I bought a new choke and had 34 hits in the head/neck at 35 yards with Rem 3" 4 shot with it, and we still have three days left to get two birds... hope our luck turns around soon!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 AM

Default RE: Bad Luck?

Must of pulled the shot or hit some unseen brush. Twigs and pulled shots are the usual suspects at that range. If you hit him he'd be dead. At 24 yards he'd be dead with a good pattern of lead 7 shot game loads.

Good Luck the rest of your season. Sounds like you're at least working birds every day.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Just keep trying. I wish you luck...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks for your reply's, today we didn't get anything either but we saw a few, I had a turkey gobbling back to my calls and sounded interested. He gobbled just about every time I clucked on my slate call but he wouldn't move an inch, there were no creeks or fences or anything so i don't know what he got hung up on, but after about 45 minutes of gobbling and not 1 inch of ground gained, he just shut up completely and left... We can sure use the good luck, we have only two days left and we have two birds to kill. We have been seeing a lot of bachelor groups of turkeys all ready and they aren't decoying in well at all... anyway, the weather has warmed up a bit and the birds are strutting a bit more then they have been all week so hopefully tomorrow goes better. I'll let you all know tomorrow.