Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 to everyone in the turkey contest >

to everyone in the turkey contest

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

to everyone in the turkey contest

Old 05-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Default RE: to everyone in the turkey contest

Well my 28 pound turkey killed in Georgia is legitimate. I took it and had it officially scored and sent all stats to the NWTF because of it's total score and it beingone of the top8 gobblers in Georgia. I've got the official receipt from the grocery store; moreover,I've noticed that in some states there have been some pretty low weights, but in others it's been prettyconsistent with medium weights. So with all the users on here and all the birds that have been taken, expect some weights to be some what high. Take care and wish everyone a safe and blessed break before deer season. GOD bless!

Old 05-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

He must have come from North Ga.You won't find one in the coastal area weighing that much.The mature Toms in my area down here weigh around 15-17lbs,ahuge one will go almost 20lbs,contrary to what most people think.Digital fish scales have broken many a heart...

Birds of the same age in the northern part usually are about 2lbs heavier.So I'd say average in north Ga would be 17-19 with a whopper being 21-22lbs.

28lbs 6oz would be the #2 biggest bird in Ga.I hope you are getting him mounted!

It is more open up there,and besides having better soil,and food up north it gets a little cooler,so the birds put on more weight,and it's not as thick so I don't think they have to run from predators as much..[8D]

That bird must have been living in paradise.I see you travel alot.Was it a guided hunt?Have you contacted GON I think they would love to hear the story about that bird.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:32 PM

I killed this bird in Rockdale county. Don't know if you know of the county, but it's 45 minutes southeast of atlanta, headed towards augusta on I-20. The land I hunted on was right on the Dekalb Rockdale county line. My friend's dad owns 500 acres which backs up to Panola Mountain state park, which is strickly NO HUNTING. I killed this bird right on the line of the park and it took me a long while to call him in. If you check out the link below my message you'll find a video clip of the two birds I saw that morning on the 26th of march. One of the birds I killed, but overall there was some great footage. I haven't contacted GON due to the fact that I'm active duty Air Force stationed up in Dayton, Ohio, but once season is over I'll definitely contact them. The birds that were there haven't been hunted at all. My buddy was telling me of seeing some birds like 4 years ago, but that was during the time of my enlistment, so i never had a chance to go and visit his place. This past year I went and hunted John's mountain WMA for the first quota and had no luck due to the large number of hunters, so we decided to try his place. We went out to his place and did a little scouting and when we reached the south river we saw turkey tracks all over. The next morning we got out there and listed at daybreak and heard 5 different gobbles. There was probably 20 + hens sighted during the hunt and heard more gobbles across the river. Bad thing about that is that's state land with no hunting permitted. Next year you can bet I'm going to be back out there going after the other bird that was with him that looked bigger than the one I killed. I dropped the bird off before I left georgia to get mounted and should have him back by the fall. So far, I've killed 7 birds this year to include the one in Georgia. This weekend I'm off to New York to try for number eight. PM me if you want further information of pictures. I just knew that the unofficial score was top eight. Until I get a response from NWTF then I will not know the exact placement of my bird. I really appreciate your comments and keep in touch. Maybe next year we can hook up. I film most of my hunts for my sponsor Knight and Hale, but next year I'm going Hunter Specialites. Let's hook up and do some hunting. Take care and GOD bless.

David Ellis
Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

WOW!!!What an exciting season!

Is the other bird you took3 yrs ago(the a-typical one,I read about somewhere else on here that scored in the top 8 a-typical ratings)...in the turkey records also?I looked for your name,but there were no matches.Thanks for the invite.I may take you up on it.Must be pretty awesome to havethe#8...a-typical,potentially top #5 typical bird,and 2nd heaviest birdin Ga.