Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hevi 13

Old 05-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default hevi 13

anyone use hevi 13?? i had a guy on another board recomend it when we were talking about remington hevishot......so i took a trip to the local gander mountain since they are the only ones around that sell it...they were about sold out......had a few boxes of 3.5 inch and a few boxes of 3 inch....i bought a box of 3 inch 1 5/8oz of 5s.....just wondering how it patterns and performs for you guys.....im shooting a 870 express mag with a 21 inch barrel and a Undertaker Hevishot tube..and they say i can shoot it through my factory remington choke without problems that is not rated for hevishot....they claim unless im shooting mass quantities..like goose hunting..that itll be fine because of they way its waded and buffered....so would it be safe to try both chokes?? i think they are both .665 but i may be wrong...any info or users?? thanx..just curious....ill be making a range trip sooner or later.....im itchin to shoot the 50cal flintlock...so ill get out sometime in the future...i got 4 remington hevishots left so ill hunt with those for the remainder of the season since i know how they pattern...
Old 05-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hevi 13

mauser , Hope I don't get stabbed here for my opinion but I have used anything you can find out there and fell to Nitro loads for a couple years untill I tried Hevi 13 and I am now a Hevi 13 shooter...BT
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

dangit! i shoulda took the gun and patterned it today.....that coming from you gets my hopes up!! i know all guns and chokes pattern diffrent...but my gun already throws remington hevishot very nicely...i gota find more of the stuff....id like 6s.....but we shall see how the 5s pattern....i like how they sell 5packs...makes it nice for patterning so your not wasting 25 bucks on something that your gun might not like....ill pattern it when i get a chance.....i want to draw up some good pattern boards so i can see the WHOLE pattern...like big pieces of cardboard or something...and draw a 3 inch circle...with a 10 and 30 inch circle around it...and break it up into segments before firing so counting is easier......
Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have one shell left from a box (10 to a box)that I have had for a couple of seasons. If memory serves me right I took a few toms with them. The 3 inch shellloaded with 5 shot patterned pretty good out of a 21 inch barrelled Benelli using both a Kick's .660 and an Undertaker .675 choke.

I liked how they patterned but my confidence in them was tested when one of the shells was a dud that cost us a bird. The wad and shot barely cleared the barrel, as if there was no powder in the shell, just the primer providing propulsion. I don't believe these particular shells were ever exposed to severe moisture so I am not sure what the problems was.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ahhhh thats no good antler eater.......thats when i scream really bad words and go from there lol.....i see they made a new waterproof primer.....anything is possible though...no matter what the process it can always happen.....weathers been crap so i didnt get out to pattern yet.....
Old 05-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

AE, I think you have a different load mixed up with the hevi 13. Hevi 13 just came out this spring on the Market. maybe you mean the Old Hevi shot loads.

I just ordered another 4 boxes today. The price is starting to Climb on this ammo going up $4.00 a box from Febuary...BT
Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian, I bought this box through Natchez Shooters Supply 04/04/05. It says Hevi 13 on the box and on the shell but perhaps it is an older version, I couldn't argue that.

Here is a photo of the box and shell I have left. It isn't the best but I didn't have a lot of time.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

those must be the old ones.....mine are green hulled...their site says that they have a new primer design...dont know..itchin to shoot them but dang it wont quit raining....i havent even been hunting which is KILLING ME...and im getting a cold from the day i DID hunt lol.....UGH!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 PM

Mauser,
I tried the old hevi-13's in #5 and they didn't pattern worth a hoot out of my 21" 870 w/ a .660 rhino choke. I got the best patterns w/ Winchester Xtended Range #5's. Excellent patterns out to 50 yards.Even at50 yards I'm able to get 4-6 in the brain/spine each time and about 20 pelets in the head/neck area.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

im shootin a .665 undertaker....right now shooting remington hevishot high velocity 6s i put 190 pellets one a 10x10 sheet of paper at 30 or 35yds...the choke made all the diffrence in my gun though...from the same .665 restriction on the factory choke to the underaker with any load was amazing to see the diffrence....i dont want it much tighter then it is....just nice and dense..get them flyers in the killzone...i fear missing at close range....i need some rifle sights for next year to go with the pistol grip stock im hoping to get.....im just looking for a load to replace the remingtons since they are done making them.....i heard envirometal was the same shot used in hevi 13s and remington loads....so its only logical to try them first.....and buying a 5 count box is alot cheaper then 30$ for 10 extended ranges that my gun might hate......i think it was 13$ for 5 hevi 13s...but i dont see them patterning POORLY since i have yet to fire a shell out of the undertaker that wasnt a turkey killing pattern...im not after distance..i dont field hunt or hunt where i can see much passed 40-50yds MAX...both the birds i killed were at 20 and 30yds....i rolled them both with a pretty SAD pattern that i thought was good back then lol.....i wouldnt even jumped on the whole hevi shot train...but picked up a box of rems and the undertaker last year DIRT CHEAP after season...now im impressed

Quick Reply: hevi 13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.