Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do you get post-strut gobblers!?!?! >

How do you get post-strut gobblers!?!?!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you get post-strut gobblers!?!?!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Default How do you get post-strut gobblers!?!?!

Is there any special stratagies to getting post-strut gobblers?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you get post-strut gobblers!?!?!

Are you talking fall hunting?
The best way to hunt them is to pattern them.
Figure out where they travle and hang out,Then set up and wait for them.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:19 PM

No... Late SeasonSpring Hunting
Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think that late season hunting is just as good, if not better than early season. A lot of times the hens are off roosting and the toms are all alone.The key is to get pretty close the them and call very sparingly. Be ready though. This time of year they are more apt to come in silently than gobbling the whole way. DONT use any jake decoys now. If you are gonna use a decoy just use one or maybe two hens. Good luck and let me know how you do and if you need any more help.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I personally think that late season hunting is just as good, if not better than early season. A lot of times the hens are off roosting and the toms are all alone.The key is to get pretty close the them and call very sparingly. Be ready though. This time of year they are more apt to come in silently than gobbling the whole way. DONT use any jake decoys now. If you are gonna use a decoy just use one or maybe two hens. Good luck and let me know how you do and if you need any more help.
I agree!!

Another thing to ponder, is to sitand wait much longer in a set-up spot. Plan on giving out a series of calls, then waiting for approx 15-20 minutes while scanning the woods. Repeat that senerio 2-3 times, and during the 3 try, you'll either get a response, or see a gobbler sneaking in.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your reply's, I have been having a really hard time "guiding" for my dad and a friend of mine and my season starts tomorrow. My friend finally got his bird yesterday and my dad didn't get one because he passed on the jakes and never got a shot at a longbeard. I have noticed that they already seem to be getting into their bachelor groups and become much less vocal. It is hard to keep track of where they are at because there are only 6 different gobblers that we have seen in our woods and they have been moving around A LOT. I will let you know how I do, I still have my turkey and two friends to guide for before the seasons over... Thanks again for your reply's I appreciate it.