Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Turkey Hunt

Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Spike

Default First Turkey Hunt

Well, my dad and I went out this previous weekend(May 6-7) and we did really good for our first time even though we didn't actually get a turkey.

The first morning we got out of the truck and heard 4 different gobbles from 4 different directions

We got down in the woods and set up our decoy and then we found out that the gun my dad was borrowing from my uncle had a rusted out shell stuck in the chamber! Now we were down to 1 gun.
My dad started calling and immediately we had a gobbler calling back from about 200 yards. My dad called him in and he was gobbling back the whole time. We saw him at about 100 yards and he kept coming in. He was strutting a lot and we could tell he had a really long beard and a big body. He was on my dads side at about 20 yards strutting around and gobbling, but my dad didn't have a working gun!Then he saw the decoy which was on my side and walked back about 30 yards, then towards the decoy, but then he got nervous and wouldn't come in any closer, he was about50 yards away from me.Eventually he left, but it was still really exciting
Then later that morning we had moved to a new spot and this time a gobbler and a jake snuck up on us and we didn't see them till they were about 60 yards away. They saw us move a little, turned around and left.

Sunday morning we weren't hearing as many gobbles, but we had 1 gobbling back at us from about 100-150 yardsthat wouldn't come in. We moved to a new spot and only heard 1 gobble really far away.

We went to 1 last spot, about 60 yards into the woods froma field. We heard a gobble from the other side of the field(about250-300 yards away from us) and then about 20 minutes later we heard a gobble from our side of the field, near the edge of the woods we were in. My dad was facing the field and he spotted 2 gobblers walking into the woods, right in our direction and right in my dads firing line. I could barely see them because I was facing the other direction and had no shot on them at all. They were at about 40 yards and my dad had to make a move in order to get his gun up(we had gotten the rusted bullet out). He made the slightest movement, but they still saw him and started making that balking sound they make when they're frightened or know something isn't right and 1 took off flying while the other ran back to the field.

We didn't get any turkeys, but we did do really good for first timers I think. We were able to call in 5 turkeys and got 3 within shooting distance. We just weren't able to close the deal and actually get one.
We also learned that turkeys are generallya lot more skittish than deer and they can see a lot better!
For next year we're going to buy a bi-pod so that we don't have to move our guns hardly at all in order to shoot. My dad wants to buy a turkey gun because it's shorter, lighter, has full a full choke, and is in camo. We're also going to buy another decoy so we can put up 2 in different directions.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM

Default RE: First Turkey Hunt

Sounds like you had a blast. Me and my buddy aren't havin such good luck either... called in lots of birds but never he missed TWICE with his bow and just never got the "perfect" shot. Still got two days left though! Good luck to you next year!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Turkey Hunt

that is awesome for the first time out....