Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 "Broken Wing" scores for team 10 (PIC) >

"Broken Wing" scores for team 10 (PIC)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

"Broken Wing" scores for team 10 (PIC)

Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default "Broken Wing" scores for team 10 (PIC)

Well had a great couple days of spring turkey hunting in the Rideau Lakes area of Ontario. Got my 2 girls in with Grandama Friday pm and started out when I saw 2 hens coming through the bush. After waiting for them to pass I made my way to my set up. Sat down and made a call and got a gobble. (thought there might be something following them). Well it was one of those afternoons you dream of in turkey hunting (minus the black flies) with a turkey cutting you off and double gobblin to your calls. 30 mins in and I have three or four hens around my deke and there is the big 'un struttin on the hill above me. Well unfortuneatley my #5's met a dead sapling 20 yds in front of me with him at 37 yds.[&:]
Hey, it will happen so I try not to get discouraged and go out at 8pm on the back porch to roost a bird. The three gobbling across the bay give me enough to think about when I go to sleep so as not to dwell on my earlier misfortune.
5am and it's pouring make my way to another set up I chose based on the closet roosted gobbler. At 5:45am they start and I get one answering my tree yelps but it's far away and one I didn't hear the night before. The close one is silent. 6:10 a big jake comes by me at 15 yds and looks across the little dip to my decoy. (he must have been the close one). Turned and left and then the hens started cutting after flydown with a gobbling frenzy following. I threw some calls into the mix but when the hens started getting more distant so did the gobbles. I switched mouth calls to a nice raspy old hen and laid down some serious calls. When I got my second gobble it confirmed he was coming
5 mins later and there is the first white head, a jake, pop up at 10 yds in full strut. Hen walks up the hill right by my boot at 2 yds and starts nervously clucking at the sight of my pounding chest going up and down I am sure. Then the Tom comes around the corner at 10 yds in full strut. I'm pointing about 30 degrees away from him so I wait until his head goes behind a tree. One smooth swing of the gun with the safety off. Birds start running and alarm putting all around me. Tom sticks his head around the tree at 7 yds as if to say "hey whats everybody gettin' all jumpy about?" Kabooom.

Stats are
19 lbs
1 inch matching spurs
10 1/2 beard
Score 60.0

He had one feather sticking straight out of his wing. My parents had patterned this bird and had named him "Broken Wing". They both get the assist for giving me the goods on where the birds like to travel.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Broken Wing" scores for team 10 (PIC)

Nice pic! Good stats on that bird. I always use 60 as a benchmark for a great bird! Thanx for sharing
Old 05-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

great bird, great stats
Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Ont.! Congrat's
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM

THUNDER!!

ATTA BOY!!!!! Great story, and what an awesome photo. Truely one to be proud of. Congrats!!