Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Team 5 Scores (a little bit) >

Team 5 Scores (a little bit)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Team 5 Scores (a little bit)

Old 11-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Team 5 Scores (a little bit)

Thursday night I went out and sat it a new tree on some local public land. Before I headed out, I realized that I didn't have any rattling antlers, not sure where they werebut I didn't. I looked up on the wall at my first whitetail, a small 8pt. from the blackhills of Wyoming and decided that he would do. I cut them off (no he wasn't mounted) and headed to the woods.

I rattled and grunted periodicallythroughout the evening to no avail. About 20 minutes before dark, just after my last rattling sequence I heard the familiar sound of crunching leaves. A little six point popped out about 25 yards. He grazedfrom my left to rightto the edge of a washout and stood broadside. As I was looking at him, I realized this was the same buck that I had been seeing early in the season. I decided to take him because we sort of had a history. I settled the 20 yard pin behind the shoulder and as I let it go, he stepped towards me into the washout. The slicktrick 100 entered the front lung and exited very far back on the other side. He ran about 35 yards and slowed to a walk, then stopped. Then I thought I saw him lay down and thought I was looking at his tines and ears in the dimming light. I waited until it was too dark to see anything and got out of the woods. I knew it was a single lung shot and I didn't want to spook him, so I left. I came back in the morning and found him dead where I left him. I guess the patience paid off.

Evidently I was selected by the coyotes to donate the left hind quarter and the brisket, but hey I guess we all have to eat.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I know he's no monster, but after lots of does, this is my first buck with a bow. My setup was this:

2003 Hoyt Razortec 70lb.
TR Dropzone and Micro Matrix
Easton Axis 340
Slick Trick 100's (put about a 1" square hole all the way through)

Old 11-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 5 Scores (a little bit)

another pic

Old 11-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good job. Nice buck
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats! I was about to give you a hard time for ruining your first rack, but then I see this is your first buck with a bow... I don't count much else.

Way to go!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats again bro! And good job waiting till morning for the recovery. If only more hunters did that when needed.

G team5
Old 11-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Just a suggestion for the future: Use a fill flash. It would have eliminated a lot of the shadows in the picture that make it hard to see you and the antlers. Just set your camera to always use a flash and have the sun behind the camera.