Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How Long Do You Wait?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How Long Do You Wait?

I don't know what the best answer to that is,but usually when I hear a bird gobble the first time,and he's on the ground I will yelp,then cutt on my box cutter.If he immediately gobbles back,I shut up for about5 minutes.I let him gobble on his own.I do not answer him until the 5 minutes is up,then I will repeat my calling sequence,and shut up for 10 minutes.From then on when I call I stick to my time limits(Usually 10 minutes).I know it is tempting to call every time he gobbles,but all that does is make him more stubborn.You have to make him think maybe another gobbler has slipped in on his hen that went quiet.

If he doesn't come to me,then the next time I set up in a dfifferent spot,and I try to get close to where he was.If it is late in your season odds are you can pattern that bird.As long as you don't get busted.So play it safe.Hope I helped.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Default RE: How Long Do You Wait?

hard to say if there is a 'best' answer...there's a lot of 'educated guessing' in turkey hunting...first week or two i might hammer right back at him..cutting him off with aggressive excited calls...a cackle or a long series of cutting..i've even had success from using an assembly yelp..that longer and louder yelp series...latter part of the season i may just give him a short and 'uninterested' half cackle...but mostly clucks, purrs and soft yelps