Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HOW WAS THE NY OPENER!!

5 birds in 3 days me:1 dad:1 partner:2 another partner 1 bird
Old 05-05-2006, 08:16 PM

HSTomslayer...sorry bud....i did get them...and sorry i hadnt replied..did you get my e-mail on the cuyler hill and morgan hill hunting areas?...if you have the time and want...you should really try them....i hear gobblers are running all over them...lol...big ones too.......my son went out the other evening and with just his voice had at least four toms cutting him off and gobbling on the run....i finally had to tell him to shhhhh...those birds were planning on stampeding him...lmao
Old 05-06-2006, 08:31 AM

hey old longbeards, thanks for gettin back to me. i didnt mean to be a pain in the butt or anything i just wanted to make sure you were getting them. these places that you hear gobblers in, is it state land? cuz thats all my dad and i have access too. hope to hear from you soon and good luck with the rest of the season!!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:20 AM

HS...yeah...this is all public lands....state forests yanno?..but truly, not alot of people hunt turkeys around here..the birds aren't getting the hunting pressure you'd think on public land here....i have access to alot of private farms and prime turkey haunts...if you and your dad's planning on being around sometime, let me know how your doing in those places..and we might just be able to get together and give those longbeards a good ol' scare...lol
Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Well, my cousin came down for the weekend to do some hunting and I managed to call him in a fine NY longbeard this morning! We heard six gobblers in all. This one was the closest. He was all fired up but wouldn't budge so I stopped calling and a few minutes later he came into investigate. Not a bad gobbler for his first spring bird...18.5 lbs. (a couple of lbs. under average for this area), really thick 10.5" paintbrush beard and 7/8" spurs. This is my best start to season ever....I've called 3 longbeards into the gun in 5 days of hunting. Man, it sure is fun!!!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:38 PM

longbeards thanks for the info!! im really pumped i cant wait to get up there now!! i def will keep you posted on how we do on the state land and my dad and i would love to hookupwith you for a hunt!! ill keep you posted on when we plan on heading up there. i have testing until this wensday, after that we plan on being up there ALOT! so like i said i'll keep you posted! thanks again!

bowhunter- dude your killin me lol. 3 birds in gun rage in5 days!! thats awesome!! keep up the awesome work man!!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:17 PM

hey tomslyer i'm from long island also and I bagged a nice tom opening morning at 9 am. i'm way up in chenango county and the birds were gobbling to anything monday morning. you better hurry because there was a noticeable difference on the next couple of mornings for the turkeys were more quiet as the week went on probably due to hunter activity/over calling...good luck.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

see my post below (Fun Weekend)

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1529084