Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Day 31, Not sick anymore, just aggravated! >

Day 31, Not sick anymore, just aggravated!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 31, Not sick anymore, just aggravated!

Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Day 31, Not sick anymore, just aggravated!

Ok, here's what happened: On Friday, my 28th day, whoopbutt started gobbling at 8 a.m. and never stoped until 11 a.m., 3 strait hours, his sequence was about every 5 minutes. He was about 300 to 400 yds from me and wouldn't budge. I made up my mind I was only going to respond to him about every 30 minutes, which I did with a call I made.

At 10 a.m., another gobbler went to gobbling behind me and went directly away from me. He then circle around and ended up about half way between me and whoopbutt. Both of them sounded like they was howling at the moon. At 11 a.m., they both shut up and I kept quiet. At 11:30 a.m. I saw a turkey head above the bushes moving fast from my left to right. He steped into the opening, and I mean wide open. I had already laid my calls down and couldn't move, but had my gun on him. I used my mouth to call to him and he started to me and then turned like he was ready to go. I saw him flex his wings, which is a dead give away that he's ready to get out of there. I totally under estimated the distance and fired, I thought the load hit him in the body and spun him sideways, he ran and took flight. I just knew it was whoopbutt and my heart sank. I looked for this bird from 11:30 til 4 p.m. that day, I felt he wouldn't go for.
I just couldn't bare to wound him and lose him, this bird deserved more than that, he had whiped me fare and square and I messed up.

I went back Sat. and Sunday and never heard a word out of him. That was killing me. I honestly prayed, If he's dead, please let me find him, and I didn't. All I wanted was a sign that he was alive. Well I got it this morning. I set up just out of his strut zone. I called a few times between 7 and 8 a.m. and heard nothing and this was killing me. I went back to my truck, got my thermos and chair out and just sat there, knowing he was dead or hurt bad.

Well folks, at 10 a.m. my prayers was answered, he started and put on a show, plus what I believe was the other bird came in, I grabed my gun and took off and set up on them. The second bird came in but I wasn't sure of the distance and let him go. They put on ashow for 2 hours. I am one proud turkey hunter, but I now realize I can no longer judge distance. I plan on geting a scope that JW recommended, hope that will help.

Here's what I think happened Friday. I was across an opening in the swamp, which crossed a slough. I thought it was about forty yards but I was way off. Anyway, the shot must have hit the ground in front of him and he spun so hard to run I thought the shot knocked him around.

That's it, I will cure the distance problem and I don't care how much he whips me now, it'll be fun bumping heads for a couple more weeks.

dog1
Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Day 31, Not sick anymore, just aggravated!

Boy, you have hunted along time is that 31 days in a row. I wouldn't be able to to that but wish I could. I hope you get one soon.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have been hunting a whoopbutt turkey to.
On public land
And I am working hard to get him.
I know how you feel.
Btween it being public land and not really knowing
What to do when I am in the woods.

When I am home I can think of so many ways to do it.
Then when in the woods its like my mind gos blank.

I wish you luck
And I hope you get him

Good Luck
Old 04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

ahh see wasnt that bad dog1! Im feelin that youre getting closer and closer....I think youll have him! good luck!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I know what your going thru. I hunted a few years for a old tom and finally got him. The biggedt thing with my getting this one was I finally got the right setup. I have picture of him in the post GOT ONE and it was worht the wait. I wish you the best.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Whew!! I would have felt the same way and you know that! Had one that I missed and was so ticked off at myselfI quit drinkin' beer for a year! And I have missed a few more for one reason or another...but then I look at the lessons learned and don't make those same mistakes again! Tis the fun of turkey hunting...each time out a new experience and new lessons to be learned!

So

Whoopbutt will be yours - I can feel it!..........

Old 04-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i felt like you do , the first 2 years i hunted turkeys, i was out there almost everyday, ok at least 3-4 days a week, but then thatone day came and it happened and all of those long days were worth it....good luck...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang dog, how long does the GA. season last? This bird is taking you to the cleaners. Aftershooting at him don't you think he's going to be even wiser? Good luck in getting him, you are going to need it. Never had one whoop me that bad, but I bet it's fun and aggravating trying to get him. I do hope you nail the sucker eventually.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

supperstrutter,

Our season runs from Mar 25 to May 15. I've already got one bird, we can take 3, but this one has created a challenge I've never had. I've already called in some more birds and blew some opportunities. I want this bird! He gobbled one time this morning and left Dodge. Yes, he's definitely educated, but I ain't got sense enough to move on. He messed up one time, he'll do it again, and I'll be there, hopefully. Ain't it fun!

dog1
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 PM

stick with it brother....you've got the whole board behind ya on this one...lmao....take it to that tom!!