Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Aggravated with hunting programs >

Aggravated with hunting programs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aggravated with hunting programs

Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Aggravated with hunting programs

Well I've been watching the new crop of hunting shows on my favorite channels and am really starting to get aggravated with the number of shows being filmed in high fenced pens. These guys are supposed to be professionals and make it appear so easy to put a tag on a monster buck, yet they never once mention that they are in a pen, granted, they never said it was fair chase either. I can't remember all of the shows but one that comes to mind is Keith Warren. I watched his showover the weekend and with in 2 minutes I knew he wasn't hunting wild deer. He was rattling and had buck after buck after buck run right past him with no doe in sight. He did this on several sequences of rattling before finally shooting a realnice 8 pointer. I realize that it is his right to hunt in a pen and that it is legal(woopty-doo), but at least he could be man enough to admit it on his show. Another aspectthat irritates me is that he is trying to push all of these failproof products which would work any where on a tame, extremely horny deer. How stupid do they really think we are? I just wish there were more shows that the people hunted public ground and did there own scouting and homework to harvest a good buck. One show comes to mind that supposedly does this, it is Closing the Distance, I'm sure there are probably others as well. These types of shows are a lot more informative in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Aggravated with hunting programs

i was watching the scent lok show with phil phillips and i guy on there shot a doe and it was tagged
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's what happens when yuppies start hunting. There greed for money takes control and they miss out on the whole expierence. I would rather see show after show of guys hunting in real world situations without getting a deer than see these canned hunts.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Don't waste time being angry. There are so many things to be angry about, and commerce drives most of TV shows.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM

hey i got some puppies and a few kittens. maybe they would want to pay three grand to come "harvest" one of these dangerous predators. lol i agree its went from filming an honest hunt to shooting simi tame deer just to get the footage.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can respect the fact it's a very tough job to produce a hunting show. I hunt all year at a chance for a big buck and they must do it week after week. It would be a hard way to make a living. I do wish they would tell the truth about the way they hunt however. I would respect them more for being truthful rather than trying to pull it off as something other than what it is.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM

I don't watch hunting programs much butI enjoy Jim Shockey from time to time. He's a likeable knothead and focuses more on the stalk than the kill, which I appreciate. I also like Jim Zumbo even though his face would crack if he ever smiled. But my favorite for out & out entertainment is Tred Barta -he tears me up.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just turn it off. Haven't watched tv for years. Did wonders for my health.

There not your friends so why spend any time with someone who's purpose is to find new and creative ways at gettin a dollar. And they will do whatever it takes, or their allowed to do to get one. Like expecting a mosquito to be your friend, (not that they don't have a purpose and some are even good). Just ain't happening and to get upset over it is ridiculous, just avoid them while your doing what you enjoy. There's some good books out there!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coulden't agree more NODOG! All this hoopla about this product and that and you can't kill a deer without this and that and you stink in the woods so wear this suit. Well if I could show you some of the photos of my granddad from the 20's and 30's with the deer he got you woulden't belive. And those guys back in the day went to deer camp for a week and had no showers they washed in the tub, they heated water on the fire and wore flannel and wool to keep warm. And there are sure a lot of dead bucks they never should have gotten. They did it with knowledge and scouting and hard work.
I say get up off the coutch shut the TV off and get out and scout. You will love just being out there and walking. And if your not careful you just might learn something that will help yu get that buck of a life time right in your own hunting area. Keep your money in your pocket not theirs. that just my 2 cents
Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting shows drive me nuts too. They put me over the edge with endless (and shameless) plugs and product placement. Then, they use patched together films that you KNOW are staged. They'll get the impact shot first, and go find the carcass. Then, theygo back and refilm the drawing of the bow, the clicking of the safety, the firing of the rifle, the "tracking of the deer," and they try to act as surprised as possible when they "find" it. After 20 takes, they patch everything together and try to make it seamless.

Seriously, how stupid do they think we are? If there's only one cameraman and one camera, how could you possibly film the rifle firing AND the impact shot at the same time? I understand that it adds cinematic effect, but are they really fooling anyone?

...and another peeve of mine is seeing them load the un-field-dressed carcass onto the ATV and haul it "back to camp." Seriously, are they planning on eating the guts?

Then it continues... My Bowtech bow really did the job. My quicktune rest really helped put that shot in there, and those Carbon Express arrows worked to perfection. I couldn't have done it without my Break-Up camo and my scent killer.

Ummmm.... No. You couldn't have done it if you weren't sitting in the middle of a deer-infested game farm over agourmet foodplotwhere normal people can't afford to hunt, and the deer are half-tame. It really didn't have much of anything to do with your bow or your arrows or your cute new camo outfit.

Quick Reply: Aggravated with hunting programs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.