Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

oh soooooo confused

Old 04-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default oh soooooo confused

what part of the turkeys anatomy makes the gobble......i was told it was the lil air bag looking thing that has food in it, well i knew that as a craw/crop.....well i was also told that the airbaggy thing is what makes em gobble,but how can that be if there is food in it??????supposely it fills with air and the fat around it makes it gobble...i dont know, so i need to know the truth, lol.....i personally believe the craw is a craw and i really dont know if there is a bag for the gobble or if it just goes into the lungs and comes out...i'm real confused as y'allcan seeand i need some proof.......does anyone know a site that i can get inside of a turkeys anatomy, maybe one with pics.....? thanks in advance.please help, lol........
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: oh soooooo confused

I have studyed some of the things from the NWTF and they said it comes from the lungs.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

I think someone is pulling your leg!!!! LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i believe it, lol.....that is why i needed proof,lol...........
Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 PM

From what I've read and been told it comes from the lungs.

Also, it is involountary. They don't gobble on purpose. That's why shock calls cause them to gobble. Slam your car door hard in the woods and hear a gobble? That Tom didn't mean to do it. Call it a hiccup, I guess.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

huntma - I had a gobbler years ago sounding off only feet away from me. I could hear him draw in his breath before he gobbled, lol.I took a picture of him and you can see his notes on his breath.
-fsh

Old 04-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Its part of the turkeys vocabulary. Hens yelp, cutt, purr etc. Gobblers cluck, gobble etc. Thats the great part of having pet turkeys you can study them all the time...
Old 04-22-2006, 08:46 AM

i always thought the craw as a part of their food ingesting process...a 'holding' spot for raw plant, seed, and bugs till they ingest them...sorta like the cows do with their cud.....alwaysthought the gobble came from the lungs...i wonder if there is a site with the anatomy of a wild turkey...good question...lol..
Old 04-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

Its part of the turkeys vocabulary. Hens yelp, cutt, purr etc. Gobblers cluck, gobble etc. Thats the great part of having pet turkeys you can study them all the time...
well, i know this.....a freind of mine had em for years and i stayed at the house all of the time......what i dont know is what part of the body makes it, i heard one thing, but i think another.......thanks y'all for the replies......