Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tree stand 4 turkey?

Old 04-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default tree stand 4 turkey?

This will be my first yr.turkey hunting. I plan on using my climber, there are quite a few birds where I deer hunt. I saw them almost every day during deer season. I would have had 1 in the fall but I miss judged the distance by 5 yds.shot low, my arrow hit the log the bird was walking on.. right beneath him. I now have a rangefinder.
Anyone else use a tree stand? seems most like to use blinds.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tree stand 4 turkey?

Save your time with the stand and sit on the ground. Tree stands are ment for Deer hunters , not turkey hunters if you want to be successfull...BT
Old 04-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Turkeys are subject to predation from above , so a tree stand will stick out like a sore thumb to them . Get a pop up or other ground blind .
Old 04-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last fall while bowhunting in wisconsin 3 turkeys walked pastat 20yds oblivious to the fact I was there. Next year I'm making sure I have a tag!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

This was my reply to this same question posted a few weeks ago.

I wound not turkey hunt from a tree stand for a number of reasons.

1. Turkeys look for the source of calling, and you will be much more easily seen sitting in a tree stand rather than on the ground. Sit in front of a large tree and take the time to cut some fresh branchesto break up your outline. Wear good camo including facemask and gloves, get a good comfortable pad, be still, and you don't have to worry about being seen.

2. Hens and gobblers leave the tree at daybreak and spend the rest of the day on the ground. It would be unnatural for you to be calling from up ina tree at any other time after flydown. Gobblers would likely smell a rat and could hang up on you rather than coming on into gun range.

3. The fun of turkey hunting for me is the cat and mouse game played after the turkey gobbles. After hearing the first gobble I am always reminded of what my buddy and turkey hunting mentor frequently said, "now the game's on". Many more times than not I've had to reposition myselfmultiple times before getting the turkey to gun range. This is the fun and challenge of hunting this grand bird.

4. Gobblers often roost near the hens after following them the previous afternoon. At flydown they will gather together and he will strut around (and occasionally gobble if you're lucky) and follow them for awhile until the hens leave to go prepare nests. At that time he is alone and susceptable to calling. You have to stay in touch with the gobbler in this situation by following himwithoutbeing seen or detected. You can't do that from a stationary position in a tree. I've taken many birds near noon after changing positionsseveral times and waitingthem out. Often this has taken me quite a distance from my original position at flydown.

Good luck