Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 can you turkey hunt from a tree stand? >

can you turkey hunt from a tree stand?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

can you turkey hunt from a tree stand?

Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Default can you turkey hunt from a tree stand?

i always see the guys shoot turkeys on the ground, but why not ever from a tree stand. Is on the ground better?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM

Default RE: can you turkey hunt from a tree stand?

I tried this last year from a buddy stand , it would of been better if i seen some toms , i seen alot of diffrent hens, put out my decoys on a old logging road and they came to them so i guess that was a plus,i guess you manly see ground hunting so you can cover more areas , but iam no expert on the turkeys,[8D]
Old 02-24-2006, 06:25 PM

you would think up higher would be better cause you can see more, but the guys on tv never ever do...
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 PM

It would be extremely hard especially when there are a lot of leaves on the trees. I would still stick with hunting on the ground.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

i tried to tag a turkey with my bow during deer season from a stand 20+ feet up in the air.....

....i pulled back an inch before the whole group saw me and headed for the hills. maybe with a gun it would be better.

it sure was fun though
Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 PM

not allowed in al. but during deer season i've seen alot, but always they've seen me and went the other way
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 PM

Think about it. A tree stand is generally in a fixed positon, right? Well, what if you need to make a move on the bird? Not gonna happen in a tree stand, unless you can somehow "Tarzan rig" the thing and swing from the vines. If you have a KNOWN strut zone with good trees in range, sure, you could do it and probably pull it off. Much more versatility on the ground. Get yerself a Matrix and kill em all!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 AM

i dunno but my cuz hunts from a tree stand and you got to let the turkey get closer than normal to shoot

Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 PM

not many turkeys in trees after sun up...i think it's fitting to hunt them eye lever...toe to toe so to speak
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Unlike deer turkeys do have natural predators from above. By being up there concealment of your movement can actually be tougher with the eyes of turkeys. Start calling and drawing attention to yourself with turkley noises and now you have real problems.Sitting on the ground you can blend into your surroundings down at the level of the turkey.

Sure you might be able to sit there and ambush them if you're still and in the right spot but I thinkthat highlightsanother perspective. being in a stand and seeing a big deer working his way towards you're stand is exciting. With turkeys there is a much more interactive aspect to it. The back and forth calling and drawing him in with vocal skills is what gets you're heart racing. I just don't see sitting there watching a turkey stroll by your tree stand and then whacking him when the moment is right to encompass the true aspect of this style of hunting. Yes you call to deer as well, and in various ways, but there sure isn't that back and forth "conversation" you have with a gobbling turkey or a cuttin' hen.

Sittin down to a tree and "pulling" them in with the turkey talk at eye levelis what makes it so addictingI think.

Quick Reply: can you turkey hunt from a tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.