Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

decoy or no decoy?

Old 04-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default decoy or no decoy?

hey yall i've had some thinking about this and i was wondering do you use a decoy or not? what is more successful to you? im going hunting in 2 days or 1 and i need some advice i dont know what to do if to take the decoys or not i've seen on TV how some people dont use ceoys and the toms just come right to them but i dont know so help please and thank you.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: decoy or no decoy?

Never used one!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use 'em! It may be that nudge that the Tom needs to get close enough for a shot. You never know.
Trae
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

rebel hog have you killed them with out decoys? is it better? or do i have a better chance with decoys?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

goose 11 would they be afraid of the decoy? do you use decoys all the time? do they work?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 AM

I've taken lots of birds, both withand without decoys. If I'm hunting in an area that consists of alot of big fields, I'll almost always use a decoy. Turkeys have a tendency to walk just close enough to be able to see the area where he heard the "hen". In an open field, thiswill almost alwaysbe out of shotgun range. He'll stand out 100-200 yards and gobble and strut and try to put himself in position for the hen to see him, but he usually won't come any closer. If you have a decoy out, they'll often walk straight to it. On the other hand, in a heavily wooded area, a decoy is usually pretty useless. The bird will have to walk closer to be able to see the hen, or for the hen to see him. In the process, if things go well, he'll wonder into range.Just like with any kind of hunting, there's not anything that always works and there's never a definte right or wrong answer.You can be successful doing things alot of different ways. The main thing is sit still, be patient, and don't over call. I don't think it's possible to under call, but you can definitely over call. By calling too much, one, you'll allow the bird to exactly pinpoint your location.A smart bird willsneak into a position to where he can see exactly where you're sitting and hang up. He'll stand there until you move and you've screwed the pooch at that point. Also, by calling too much, you give the bird the impression that you're very interested in him, and he'll expect you to come to him, instead of the other way around. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every setup is different, some utilize decoys, others decoys will hinder the setup....experience with the use and without the use will give you the knowledge you need about decoys.