Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hunting mountain turkeys >

Hunting mountain turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting mountain turkeys

Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting mountain turkeys

I got permission to hunt a new place the other day. Its very hilly, a few 1400 ft. hills/mountains, almost straight up them, it'll be a tough hike in.

Will the turkeys roost or feed up on these steep hills or pretty much stay to the lower ground, where these hillsstart is kinda open and flat with some pretty thick brushy,swampy spots.

I've never hunted this type of terrain before, so any guidance.

Also, I need some evening hunting tips if anyone knows any. Do you guys hunt fields or roosting areas or what in late afternoon. I've never heard a gobble during the afternoon before. How do you call these effectively in the afternoon?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting mountain turkeys

What state are you hunting in? I hunt hills and breaks also buttes. I hunt where there is alot of coyotes and I think it makes it hard to hunt because they are very sneaky but just my observation. You can hunt all day in that terrian spot and get in close and start to call. They will roam around and I think early morning is a waste to me. Just get in early and find where they are at and go from there. If there is a grain field or feeding spot you know of start there.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:34 PM

if somebody can figure out those mtn turkeys please let me know i cant figure them out i have been successful in takin a couple but yet to figure them out .
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 PM

Here's my take on the mountain turkey. I've hunted turkeys in the everglades of Florida, fields of Alabama and Georgia. But since I've moved to the mountains of Tennessee I've had to start over again. It was a smarter hunter than me that told me, " Watch them more than hunting them and you'll learn quicker".

Now, with that said here's what I've learned in the past three months of just watching them. Just like the other turkeys they like to roost over water if possible. If not disturbed, they'll combine this with extrem proximity to a strutting zone.

When they come off the roost, they'll fly down. Litterially, down hill. I've yet to see them fly off the roost and up the mountain.

They go down the hill/mountain to water and straight to the zone. After doing their dance/mating and feeding. It's off to the water again, then it's off and up the hill.

In all the time I've watched them only twice did I see them move down the hill father than 30 yards.

If you have bad weather coming they'll roost far below on the mountain than normal. And they'll know the weather is coming before you if you didn't check it out before hand.

If you don't get the shot in the morning, assuming of course you have found these spots, don't worry. They'll be back later that same day. Just don't get busted or bust them.

Here's a link for you of my house building project but it has photo's of the mountains where I've been watching what I like to call my babies.

http://www.southernsportingdesigns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583

Hope it helps.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

up north in PA i see em alot roosted over the creek , and they fly down and feed , like striaght down tho under their roost tree, then work the hill around or down
Old 04-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

..I'm from WVa.. no Mt turkeys here....
....just reading this threadmakes me outta breath...[8D]
"...he's on the top?"....[:@]
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Foothills of the Ozarks in Arkansas, not really big mountains or nothing but several very high hills for where Im used to hunting. Guess I'll know more tomorrow, going in the morning before work.

Thanks for the replies