Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HELP! Turkey Mites???

Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP! Turkey Mites???

Have any of youevery had turkey mites get in your hair and make you itch? What do you do to get rid of them? Is taking a shower enough? My Pa-in-Law said they are like chicken mites and will wash off in a hot shower. I don't know if I believe him.... [8D] Any suggestions?

P.S. - My advice to anyone who is about to clean a turkey is:
SKIN IT. DO NOT PLUCK IT.
OR BETTER YET, ASK YOUR PA-IN-LAW TO PLUCK IT FOR YOU.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HELP! Turkey Mites???

Never had them, but I know they are a pain to get rid of. I wear gloves when I clean my birds, and use ULTRATHON bug spray. YOu can get it at walmart.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hot water kills most bugs..........and soap......shower witht he hottest water yo can stand.

You cold try RidX(Pharmacy on the shelf)I think that is the brand) for hair lice. What you have pictured is really a feather louse. Give me a dy or so and I'll look that critter up in my pesticide manual as I do work inthe industry.

One thing you could do - is freeze the bird a bit......cold will make any lice slow way way down.....and make sure you have bare arms.

I have found feather lice on many ducks Ihave plucked but never a turkey....

JW
Old 04-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. Did not know that. The picture looks alot like what I saw, and scratched, but it may not be exactly the same. Eversince my extremly hot shower, I haven't had any problems. I used some "Tea Tree Oil" shampoo and body wash after my Dial scrubbing. Hopefully, they won't re-appear!
Trae
Old 04-05-2006, 04:49 AM

LOL I've had them on me a few times after harvesting bird. They don't stay long though, I don't think we taste good to them
Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 AM

saw them many times on birds. they will crawl on your hands and arme, but will brush right off. just as you said take a shower and your fine. they don't stay on you long.

I have saw them in my turkey vest a few times, I just turn it and shake it out and they are gone.

No Worries!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I am kinda a "Clean Freak" and this really freaked me out! Everything seems to be o.k. today. If they didn't plant eggs in my armpits and start to hatch I think I'll live through this! [8D][8D][8D]

My brother is a true "redneck" he got the biggest laugh out of my worries! I think he has a whole nation of these bugs living and thriving on his body!

LOL!
Trae
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM

Good thing I didn't see this while you were at the house[:@] Ill get you and you never know when I might show up, Live in fear "clean freak" girli man

Im his so called "redneck" brother