Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 bipod with turkey gun????? >

bipod with turkey gun?????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bipod with turkey gun?????

Old 04-03-2006, 05:39 PM

Default bipod with turkey gun?????

ok so go easy on me if there's something i'm not thinking about but does anyone use a bipod or shooting sticks while turkey hunting??? i have a harris bipod with an adaptor intended for use with a semi-auto rifle that works like a champ on my shotgun...
why not???
let me know. this is my rookie season so if it's not a good idea let me know why. it is a rock-steady rest and would seem to be a good idea, yet i have never heard of anyone using one.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bipod with turkey gun?????

I wouldn't use it. Frankly I can't find a use for it (exception: kids who can't hold the gun up on their knee for extended periods of time). You nearly always have to makemultiple sight adjustments as the turkey approaches. That is easy to slowly do without a gun rest. With the bipod or monopod one has to pick it up and readjust it constantly as the turkey comes in, increasing the likelyhood of making noise or being seen. If you don't pick it up cleanly you run the risk of dragging it through the leaves or breaking a stick and spooking the bird.

Another negative is that the gun must pivot on the rest, nessesitating the need for the shooter to move his body to adjust aim.Turkey's eyes are too good for this type of movement in my opinion. If you must use the bipod I strongly suggest using some cover to your advantage in order to conceal the movement.

I had toattach a monopod to the barrel of my son's 20 gauge because he isn't yet strong enough to hold the gun up for more than a minute or two. We didn't get a shot during the youth hunt last w/end, but had several turkeys close enough to go through the drill of getting the gun ready and pointed in the direction of the turkey. It will be a challenge concealing this movement when the opportunity presents itself (hopefully sooner than later) but we must do it this way until he is big enough to loose the rest.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Well said! That tom can and will come from all angles, in front, the sides, and circling around your position from behind. You will need your head on a swivel! Minimize your movements, and be mobile.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

some people arent as tall as others so they cant hold it up on there knees so go a head and use it Good Luck

Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Last spring I hunted with my right thumb/hand in a cast and sling, as I'd broken it. I put a monopod (called a "Lazy Leg"--I think you can get them on the NWTF website) and a Bushnell Holoscope on my gun and shot lefthanded (I'm normally righthanded). I killed three turkeys that way, but it WAS awkward at times, and I "had issues" with the Lazy Leg device. I learned to set up with more concealment/brush/cover/a blindin front of me. I did have to lift and reposition my gun on one of the birds that came in on me from a way Idid not expect. But it was nice to not have to hold thegun for long periods of time. My answer is use it if you like.Since my thumb is healed, I do not plan to usethat Lazy Legthis spring. Perhaps that will tell you something, too.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM

cool...thanks for the input. i think the bipod will not be used. height is not a factor as i am 6'4', holding the gun is not an issue. no bipod...exactly what i was looking for. thanks guys.