Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BIRDS COMING OFF ROOST

Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 AM
G5

Default BIRDS COMING OFF ROOST

I went out to my ground saturday to locate some birds. Season doesnt actually start until this coming saturday, so all i brought with me was an owl hoot, crow call and a camera. anyways i found a couple birds on roost and wouldnt you know they are roosting right on the property line. on my side of the property there is a wet spring that isnt wet due to the dry weather we have had, on the other side of the fence there is open field about 50yds away. the fence that splits the properties has only 1 opening where they might cross. my question is i cant get them to come down on my side of the fence what are the chances of me calling one back over to my side, ive always heard that they are fairly lazy and a fence will detour them. but during this time of year is it likely they will cross to find a hen
Old 04-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BIRDS COMING OFF ROOST

I think you can call them back across, it might not be easy. What I have found in cases like this is that alot of times, I'll call to them and if they leave and go the other way, they are probably going off with some hens. What I like to do is stay put, alot of times they will come back. It may take a few hours, but dont be afraid to stay out there till 11 oclock.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
G5

Default RE: BIRDS COMING OFF ROOST

What I like to do is stay put, alot of times they will come back. It may take a few hours, but dont be afraid to stay out there till 11 oclock.
i have heard this before, if they go away from you they will most likely be back between 10-noon.Where im at we can also hunt until 30min after dark, so catching them in late afternoon coming back to roost is also a possability. I just dont want to be the guy shooting over property lines so i hope i can get them over that darn fence.