Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 need some quick help, easy question i think >

need some quick help, easy question i think

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

need some quick help, easy question i think

Old 04-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Default need some quick help, easy question i think

what is best locater call...or a few different types, im going scouting this weekend and i have a crow call, is that all i should use? also, when scouting....i get up predawn, drive around and just blow the locater call every 100 yards or so? and they will gobble to that and then i know where should be around come april 18 (opener)? should i jus drive on the road and blow the call or should i actually get into the woods....thanks alot

geter
Old 04-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: need some quick help, easy question i think

Predawn I would use an owl hooter or coyote call. Then after sun up I would use the crow call. I would make sure Im out and away from my vehicle when locating. Get into the woods, just dont spook them off the roost.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I do all my scouting from roads or trails and as said I do NOT try to spook turkeys....Do Not do that!

I use Owl, coyote, woodpecker and a silent dog whiste. And one other - a Gobble call!

My routine and it depends on the birds mood at that point.....each day is different due to weather
Just before 1st light.
I start with Owling - doing "Who - Who - who cooks for you!" type scenerio or just long drawn out "Whooos".
I wait and if I get owls answering me I shut up and hope I hear a gobble......if nothing I may try a Yote call....If the owls are still going at it and no gobbles I move...I omly wiat about 2 minutes in each spot and do travel fast as I can....
Then say I do get a gobble call ...I'll wait a bit to listen if others will light up as one Tom will make other Toms int he are sound ff!......if I hear nothing - I move 100 yards to a quarter mile away and start all over again!
If I am runnin' roads this is easy as you can cover much ground very quicklyvia vehicle. I do note all gobbles I hear and mark them on my map - so I can come back later and hopefully pinpoint and maybe get a look at the bird(s).

I keep doing this routine - and once you get gobbles you will need to mvoe as quick as you can if you are going to hear and learn where the many gobblers are.....

If it is getting lighter now and I hear crows I will add a crow call to my scheme......and may drop the owl or yote call or whistle.

Now gobble calls can be accomplished on a box call as long as it is doubled sided. All you do is shake the call while holding the box...let the paddle flap.Or I use (my favorite) Red Wolf Gobble call. This is a skaer type call ( a rubber tube)

Now I have gone so far to shock gobble to use - duck, elk, car horn, dog whislte, police whistle, slamming a car door and even 2 pots banged together! Don't laugh it all has worked helping me make that ole tom Shock gobble!

Now there will be a point in time the bird hits the ground and will gobble for a bit......

Okay all gobbling stops - now what?
Well I go back to my map and retrace my routes and will continue to do this till about 8:00 AM. I know that Roost sights are located with strutt zones close bywhich will be adjacent or smack dab on feeding zones for hens......I try to see as many of the birds I have heard so I can see just how good of a bird they are!

Ya it is a lot of work and I do burn up quite a bit of shoe leather and gas (depending where I hunt)....but this is what puts me on birds all the time....This is what puts me on a primary, secondary and maybe even a third Tom each morning I hunt if I happen to screw one up! I always have a place to go taht I have confidence as I know the area though my scouting attempts.

Beendoing this for years - hope thismakes sense - but it works well for me....you may find somehting that works better for you.

Or
Say I am in a new area - don't have a clue where birds may be. Well 1st I get a topo map and look for watering sights. I will also key in on feeding and look for big roost trees. I look for tracks, scat, feathers, etc. I check out big trees during the day - lots of broken branches with turley poop ont he ground may mean yo ahve found a roost tree. In areas I hunt I know that wintering areas coincide with cows especially with places that have snow. So I key in on that.
Anyhow the point is to do your homeweork up front - gives you a better chance for success!
JW
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 PM

guys, thanks alot that is a great explanation, i will def. use this routine, thanks alot jw
Old 04-01-2006, 05:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

and if ya find something else that works for you better than what I described - come on back and share it!

I have hunted for quite a few years now but someone else helped me get started.....and each time out....i learn a new trick or tricks that i file away inteh gray matter......now if I don't end up with CRS.....I shold be ready!

But I still get stumped by one bird or the other every year!

JW