Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Well The Good Lord is watchin out for me!!! >

Well The Good Lord is watchin out for me!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Well The Good Lord is watchin out for me!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Well The Good Lord is watchin out for me!!!

Playing some basketball last night and running at full speed stepped on a guy's foot and tumbled down knowing I had broken or sprained my ankle severley. Honestly the first thinbg going through my head was that I was taking my dad to listen for gobblers this morning and I would have to cancel that, and second, Would I be walking by opening day in 2 1/2 weeks. Well it looks like the Lord was watchin out for me because the X-Rays have turned up negative on the first opinion. Still waiting on a radiologist to look them over though so keeping the fingers crossed...

I am on crutches for a week at least if it's not broken, ane even though it will cut into my scouting time, it could have been much worse...I was ready to start looking for a 4X4 Wheelchair last night!!!lol.

God Bless ya'll and be careful out there!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well The Good Lord is watchin out for me!!!

Where there is a will there is a way. In 1997 I broke both my tibia and fibula in half. If you don't know these are the lower leg bones. The doctor told me I wasn't going to be able to go bow hunting. With the help of my wife, God bless her, we cut trails and got ready for opening weekend. She doesn't hunt by the way. I was on my crutches the whole time in pain but was going to prove to the doctor that I was going to be in the woods opening day. I made two ground blinds. With a crutch under one arm and a bow in the other hand I was hunting opening day. To make a long story short I killed a four point that opening afternoon and a nine point that following Monday. If that had happened now I bet you I would somehow find a way to be in the woods this weekend. It's amazing some things we can do when we put our minds to it. By the way, it took me over 3 hours to get the nine point out. Stupid me, I was hunting alone and could not drag the deer a foot with my leg the way it was. I got my truck toabout 100 yards from where the deer fell. Thank God he didn't run far. He actually ran towards the truck. I took him out piece by piece. Hope you have no trouble turkey hunting, but I'm willing to bet even if your ankle were broken you wouldstill find a way to be out there opening day chasing that longbeard.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Hope you are on your way to a full recovery. And you are blessed that it wasn't wose. Always look for the good in the bad.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Good luck on recovery, but don't despair even if you are still on crutches come turkey time.

I have:

Learned to ski on one ski after I broke the other leg (while skiing). I put my broken leg and castin a garbage bag and fell a million times until I got it right.

Hunted pheasants wearing a full leg cast following reconstructive knee surgery. I was able to swing my leg out in a sort of circle-like motion to follow the dogs.

Hunted (and killed three) turkeys shooting left-handed (I'm normally righthanded) last spring after I broke my right thumb. My thumb was in a cast and had four pins in it.

Hunted turkeys with a buddy who had broken his leg snowmobiling earlier that year. He used an ATV to get out into the turkey woods, then spent time sitting in a blind, no "run and gun" hunting.

And I postponed an urgentgallstone/gall bladderremoval surgeryfor a week so I could go on a previously scheduled weeklong sharptailhunt,taking "emergency" painkillers and antibiotics along, in case the gall bladder ruptured while I was hunting.(Which it didn't, thank God!!)

The thing you'll have to do, if still on crutches when the season opens, is plan your route and the places you'll hunt and how you'll get to them beforehand. But know that you'll be able to do it, if my experiences are any testimony to the power of ingenuity and desire to hunt!!

Good Luck!!

Old 03-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hope your recovery goes well. Ditto to where there is a will, there is a way.I hadlacerated my thigh to the bone back around ~'86,falling down acrossthe edge of my ski - the week before opening day. I was laying there bleeding like hell on the snow,thinking s***, opening day is next week. Funny how your priorities get arranged .The Breckenridge, CO, ski patrol eventually showed up andcarted me down into emergency surgery to get stiched up. Well, I did miss opening day- thefirst opening day that I missed in many years .I was out there on tape-camo'd crutches by second week of the season - I could not walk up or down any slopes and had to stay on level ground. No running to birds either, lol. The wife was not happy...I did get a turkey that season, andthe scar on mythighreminds me more of the adventure of hunting that turkthan skiing...
-fsh
Old 03-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well glad to hear your alright. Hope you are 100% by opening day.