Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Moonlight Gobbling..

Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Moonlight Gobbling..

Heard a Bird this morning at 5:30 am.30 minutes before the crack of dawn,and 1 hour before legal sunrise.The moon looks full,or atleast it's right at it.This is the 2nd bird,in the last 4 years I have heard gobbling well before daylight in the moonlight.How often have you had this happen?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moonlight Gobbling..

Actually that is not uncommon. I have heard many birds gobble an hour before daylight.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:01 AM

same here,I have axcually heard the gobble in the middle of the night when an owl would hoot close to him.we sat at the camp one night around the campfire and listen to one gobble (I would say 50 times) and it was between 10:30 and 11:00 pm.

when it full moon and the moon is setting just befor day break, I have heard them gobble over and over for two hrs. till day break.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you for the replies.There must not be as many people that are as die-hard as us.Most people areday-breakers.Early bird gets the worm.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard them gobble well before daylight turkey season my alarm is set at 3:00 a.m.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

always seems that way.......thats why i check the weather like a hawk when turkey seasons in......clear skies and im up earlier....clear skys and a good moon and im up WAY earlier....but they still tend to fly down around the same general time...they just seem to gobble alot longer them days....atleast to me.....it seems i still always think im late....but they stay on roost till around the same time.....they are still very huntable birds.......good luck...
Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

always seems that way.......thats why i check the weather like a hawk when turkey seasons in......clear skies and im up earlier....clear skys and a good moon and im up WAY earlier....but they still tend to fly down around the same general time...they just seem to gobble alot longer them days....atleast to me.....it seems i still always think im late....but they stay on roost till around the same time.....they are still very huntable birds.......good luck...
that's the same type of conditions we had this morning here in florida. yesterday at 5:45 it was dark. today if felt like i was under stadium lights the moon was so bright. the birds did start gobbling early. the first ones i heard were right at about 6 am. i was just happy to hear a gobble much less 3 different birds.