Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Have you ever used an outfitter? >

Have you ever used an outfitter?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Have you ever used an outfitter?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you ever used an outfitter?

Was it a good or bad experience? I've hunted with an outfitter one time. I have my own land but just wanted to try something different. Went to Texas and got two Rios. The accomodations were pretty bad but the hunting was excellent. I did not have a guide nor will I ever use one. I did not hunt over corn or any other bait nor will I ever. Overall it was a good experience. I would like to try Missouri one day.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Have you ever used an outfitter?

nope..never have used an outfitter..i have plenty of land in arkansas to hunt..im in a 9000 acre deer camp in the ozark foothills..i also have a friend with a 140 ranch in madison county(in the ozarks also), and about 300 acres in elpaso, arkansas, turkeys all over all of these places
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 PM

nope i aint never hunted out of sc yet .
Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't yet. I would love to hunt Westervelt lodge once tho
Old 03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've never used one but i have hunted at people's camps that seem like they were outfitters. let me tell you, some people know how to put together a hunting camp.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 PM

i haven't had to use an outfitter for turkey hunting. i'm fortunate enough to have access to some good private land and a couple very good public areas in my home state. will be chasing merriams in SD and am too stubborn/poor to use an outfitter so will be hunting public land. can't deny that i've considered it just to give it a try though.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never used one for turkeys...just the opposite, I have been a guide/outfitter for turkeys and other species here in PA and still guide turkey hunters...specializing in youth. I do everything possible for my clients and have gotten many their first ever bird...... I have however used a guide/outfitter for my elk hunt in Wyoming and bear hunt in Quebec, both successful and excellent.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Was it a good or bad experience? I've hunted with an outfitter one time. I have my own land but just wanted to try something different. Went to Texas and got two Rios. The accomodations were pretty bad but the hunting was excellent. I did not have a guide nor will I ever use one. I did not hunt over corn or any other bait nor will I ever. Overall it was a good experience. I would like to try Missouri one day.

I also went to texas a couple of years ago for my Rio. The place we stayed at was a 5 star rating all the way. Couldn't complain about the food, drinks, or sleeping quarters. The "guide" was another story!!! I asked him outfront, how many turkeys has he taken while hunting at this place. He looked at me and said........one!!! And he took it with a rifle no less at a corn feeder in an elevated blind!!! He looked at me and said you guys are the "traditionalists" by using shotguns!! Like SS mentioned above, I hated the thought of hunting by a corn feeder, so I walked and called until I got a Rio to commit and come in on it's own. As a matter of fact, at the ranch that our group was hunting at, we werethe first group of guys to hunt turkeys with a shotgun. Seems that killing turkeys from an elevated blind near a corn feeder is the norn in those parts????? Then afterwards, I walked into the placewhere they cleaned the birds, and those "rifle hunters" just saved the breast meat on the bird, and tossed the rest of the bird, yes: spurs, beards, and tail fans!!!! I was awestruck. A buddy of mine grabbed the beards from those "tossed" birds. Needless to say, that particular ranch is not the place I would suggestto go. While I was successful, as were the others in my group, that would not be a place I'd make a second trip!!! I'm sure that there are many other places in Texas to hunt Rio Grande turkeys that are 10x better than the place we went too. That was the first out of state hunt for me.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also a upland bird guidespecializing in turkeys and (biggame hogs)right here at home in N.Calif and work for an outfitter that is first class.If I had it my way I would take vacation and hook up out of state with an outfitter every spring!Turkey huntin is vacation time for this guy simply cause I enjoy the sport.Experiencing new places,birds,people,and country inmho is an absolute blast that I thourghly enjoy and look forward too!Yes theres some very unprofessional outfitters out there but do your homework the best you can in gathering ifo about them!..Enjoy your spring all....Bob
Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I use an outfitter to Hunt Missouri. I have no complaints. I recommend using Grand River outfitters. Great accomedations and excellent turkey hunting. Give Don a call and he'll set ya right up. Im already booked for this year. This will be my 3rd year hunting with Don at Grand River outfitters.

Quick Reply: Have you ever used an outfitter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.