Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shoot or don't shoot???

Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shoot or don't shoot???

i got this from another website but thought it was a good thread there so it should be good here too.

Your set up on the edge of a field, and you have your decoy out about 25 yards away. This tom comes in and stays about 25 yards away. He starts to leave when he notices something. Do you shoot?

Your in Texas hunting Rios and you finally get bird to come in. He hangs up at 45 yards and you have a steady 30 mile per hour wind blowing left to right, do you shoot?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot or don't shoot???

Yea, he just noticed a load of no. 5 shot coming his way. The 2nd scenario I probably wouldn't shoot because there are so many turkeys in Texas and I know I would get other opportunities to take one. It would be a risky shot anyway.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

First one: why not? he's a dead turkey

Second one: patterned my gun to be deadly at 45yds. Put it slightly left of his head and they'll be plenty hitting vitals with my gun. BOOM.

Oh ya. Both pics show good safe backgrounds from what I can tell. Something else to always consider. And I am throwing out a cluck to get thier heads up and still in both instances. If the second guy is moving and he doesn't stop I might not shoot since it looks like he is about to go into cover.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

id shoot at both
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM

To shoot or not to shoot..that is the question! lol...i'de shoot at both of them..im pretty confident with combo of gun, shells and choke i use..the wind may be a factor sometimes..but sometimes you must improvise..just like OntElk said..just move that barrel slightly to the left..take aim..steady yourself and pull that trigger.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 PM

Fist one: Close enough, neck stretched out. I'm shooting

Second one: to far for me, I ain't called him close enough, plus neck scunched up in strut, I don't like it
Old 03-02-2006, 12:37 PM

I used to shoot number six shot, but about 5 years ago I missed a turkey I know I was on at about 40 yards. The missed really bugged me. I replayed it over and over in my head. The next spring I began trying new loads and about a twenty mile an hour wind was blowing left to right. The first shot was blown off the gobbler head on my target. I tried number five shot from the same spot. Dead on! I was amazed that one shot size difference mattered that much in the wind. I tried three more with each size, same results. It dawned on me that the wind was blowing very hard that morning in Texas and was ripping from left to right.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

First one, dead bird. The pellets in my decoy would vouch for that scenario . Second one, I probably wouldn't shoot unless I underestimated the range.