Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a rifle???

Old 03-02-2006, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Turkey with a rifle???

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Rifles are legal in the fall but....why? Not appealing to me but to each their own.

Now that is a sound opinion, and I totally agree.. I do most of my turkey hunting with my compound bow, then I trade off with my turkey shotgun. To me, the rifle, if it is selected should be used properly with the caliber selection, and shot placement, to all be respected by the state hunting laws and regulations. I have seen to many videos onlline and on dvd that these hunters go out for trophy hunting with a deer rifle or something of equal over-kill, and just go plinking with the turks. For me, that just disgraces the sport, and does not show respect toward the bird and the whole definition of ethical hunting. With the right gear, I can see using a rifle, but its not my choice. Takes the fun out of the whole hunt, harvest, and storytelling.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

No need to use a rifle when I can killem with a shotgun!Hopefully Calif will keep the rifles in the biggame hunters and varmiters hands and out of the turkey hunters!As the woods continue to fill up with hunters safety IS an issue here as it already is with shotgunners!Dont kid yourself with heavier faster payloads,scopes,tight chokes,and all this other to do stuffmakes todays modern shotgunner much more dangerous than just 5 to10 years ago.I have a hard time with this subject everytime it comes up because theres an awful lot of shotgunners that look down on the rifle hunters but than turn around and spend a small fortune making there so-called scatter gun lethal at longer distances......play it safe all...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

AA posted...
In the end it's a personal choice that we all have to live with, who am I to judge another's way of legal hunting.
Ryan posted....
DoubleA,
You appear to be a man of great wisdom and common sense and most of all the ability to comprehend logic.

Ryan, sometimes I supprise myselfKudu's to you also on your way of thinking, great minds think alike.

I think a big factor in this is that so many of the hunters out there hunt on public land and that is fine. We Texicans as a whole dont have much of that here and hunt on private land. Landowners like myself and guys that lease hunting rights in my opinion tend to be more responsible people. They have people to answer to and if they mess around and do stupid stuff they either ruin there place to hunt or lose their lease. Who does the weekend warrior hunting on public land have to answer to other than a warden or check station.
As much as I like to hunt..... if I was hunting on public land and heard bullets whizzing by me and having my bird shot out from under me by a "sniper" ( not a legal hunter with a rifle} I would pack my gear and never go back there. No hunting is worth dieing over. From some of what I have read this happens to folks and they go back! Maybe there needs to be More regulations on how many hunters can hunt in a given area. Yeah we need more regs just some thoughts........

God gave us all common sense....use it
Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM

When these incidents happened.....I didn't know there was anyone else in the woods with me, even though I make a conscious effort to stay away from others....these guys are stalking around through the woods, when they hear a gobbler they go toward it....get on a vantage point, locate it, and take a shot.....not knowing nor caringthat there's someone down there working it, or 30 yards from it, whatever.....isn't that a little dangerous??....I realize that it's the idiots and not the rifles fault....coincidently, some of these incidents has happened during the week......and if I would pack up and never go back, where would I hunt?? Some folks, as oddly as it may seem to others, don't own big tracks of land, or have bigland leases.......In my opinion, again, doesn't account for anything, I say do it democratically, and let each state vote on it and let the majority rule.

This is all I'm gonna say about it.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM

There is no place for rifles in turkey hunting.

Hal
Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hawglips

There is no place for rifles in turkey hunting.

Hal
That about sums it up
Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 PM

The issue here is not one of rifle vs shotgun, its ...and this is my opinion....its really about the loss of respect for turkey hunting in general.

There are far to many people who hunt turkey these days with the express purpose of seeing how many they can kill. The measure of a successful hunt is in the kill for many. Look at the number of dollars spent on loads that send a pattern out 60 yards, chokes that focus more on long range, and scopes and special sightsfor shotguns. Gone are the days when calling the bird in close so that a 2 3/4 load from a 12 bore full choke would successfully terminate the hunt.TV Hunting shows have reduced the game to a kill. In days past there was a genuine respect for the hunt itself. Getting out in the woods quietly before daylight, the stalk to a place to listen for the first gobble, and the ensuing battle of wits between man and the bird was seen as the ultimate in a hunting experience. To Take a turkey was great, but the simple enjoyment of hunting the turkey was supreme.

To allow a rifle takes the sport and turns it into no more than an act of marksmanship. A turkey strutting at 200 yards is no match for a 40 grain bullet traveling at 3000 fps. And there is no joy to be had from a hunt riding the roads looking to bushwack or road roll a turkey with a rifle.

As turkey hunting has grown more accessible and birds more plentiful, we have wattered down the members of this society with newcomers who can not, recall the day when taking a turkey was a sign of woodcraft and hunting skill.

I hold no man in high regard who would take a turkey with a rifle. For those with no respect for the hunt and skills required, you have been cheated out of one of the greatest pleasures a hunter can have.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very well said Wooddust,I have seen so many changes in the turkey woods since the early 70's.Not all of them for the better.Just my opinion.To me a kill isn't the important thing.It's the whole turkey huntin ritual that matters most to me.Everythin from scoutin to buyin new calls to the hunt itself.Just somethin about slippin into the woods before daylight and watchin everythin come to life as the sun comes up.The way that first gobble makes the hair on the back of your neck stand uip.Watchin a tom come in performin his courtship ritual.I wouldn't deny anyone the right to use a rifle but it's not for me.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

back in them days (early 70s) you heard one gobble you did not tell a soul you know what i mean jalvja and wooddust?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sorry but, I just don't see anything wrong with using a rifle to hunt turkeys!!
You say, it is an unfair advantage, but compared to what!!!!
A 3 1/2" is more of an advantage than a 3" !!!!
A 3" is more of an advantage than a 2 3/4" !!!!
A pump or automaticis more than a single shot!!!!
A single shot more than a bow!!!
A 12 ga. is more than a 20ga!!
A 20 is more than a 410....
I agree that shooting a turkey out from under someone while they are tring to work him in is the lowest of the low.
But, doing that with any kind of bow or fire arm is wrong....... not just a 22lr!!!
As far as safety, you can get shot by a shotgun just as easy!!
We as turkey hunters, know and accept the fact we could get shot, every time we go turkey hunting.
At least as a turkey hunter, youneed tobe aware of that fact.
WE take that chance.
If I get shot during the season, and itis an accident and not carelessness.
I won't hold no hard feelings.
I took that chance!!
I'm sorry, but to say that it isn't fair or any less a challenge is a bit hypocritical, unless you hunt with a rock or stick!!!

Quick Reply: Turkey with a rifle???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.