Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Beard displays...

Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Beard displays...

Hey,guys I have a friend that just started turkey hunting last year.He shot 3 gobblers with one shot,and 1 of them even had 3 beards.Unreal I know!Anyways.His birthday is Sunday,and A few weeks ago I asked him where his beards/spurs were from those birds.He got them,and said he didn't know what he wanted to do with them.

I thought about fixing them up for a present.I already have plans for the spurs,but I would like to see if any of you have some unique ways I could fix up the beards.Remember 1 has three beards,and it's going to be hard to deal with all that excess skin.Any help is greatly appreciated,and pictures would be even greater!Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beard displays...

hmmm... well i dont know how to display the 3 bearded one but i like when u put the beards in used shotgun shells. adds a nice touch i think.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I thought about the gunshell,I did one for my wife's first bird,but the triple bearded one messes that up.I can trim some skin from the 3 bearded one,but I'm having a problem figuring out how to hang it.The one in the middle was cut too close.How do you guys string yours up?Have you ever wrapped it in string to hold it up?Here is a pic of the beards maybe this will help.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

multiple birds, one shot... not something I think I'd like to do even if it was legal here. I've seen some commercial displays for multiple beards in some recent catelogs, cabelas had some nice ones I think.... might have been wing supply or midwest though....
Old 02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

i agree withRIStrutStopperabout shooting multiple birds but that's not the issue....

anyway...i got an old fence post with barbwire from my favorite wma and hung them from the post...i also mounted my biggest birds fan on it...i've also used cypress stumps...anything natural is the best route in my opinion....oh yeah...the shells are on the fence post as well.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I use the shell casing in which I shot the turkey to display my beards. Then I use hot glue to hold them in use a small screw hook to hang them up under the turkeys fan. Remember to cut off the shell at the brass and drill out a hole to place the screw hook. It takes very little time to do it that way.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Geez sometimes I wonder can I post anything without criticism..Ok,first off it is perfectly legal here in Ga.2nd it was his first time,he knew no better.The birds were at 9yds.I have done it before too,truly...ethical?maybe not,but oh,well.It's done.No bird were wounded.

I can't do the shotgun shell thing b/c of the triple beards.I guess I'll come up with something.Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a tip for future reference on removing beards.......After photos and before field dressing grab the beard firmly, twist it 1 1/2 times, and then give it a sharp pull away from the body. the beard will pop off with no skin attatched and will in itself stay intact. this helps in display, i.e. no messy skin. It will also work with multiple beards, just do one at a time.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

AWW just hang them in the Garage...

Old 02-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use a beard board when I display beards with out the fans

Your buddy should of kept the fans with the beardsto hang on the wall

Maybe on his next tripple

Quick Reply: Beard displays...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.