Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

which season is better?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: which season is better?

As far as the ease of harvesting a bird, the fall season is "better". There is a (general) lack of competition from other hunters, lots of turkey noise in the woods (if you know what to listen for), plus the birdshave not been educated by pre-season practice...No need to break the fall flocksup, they (hens, jakes, and family flocks) willcome readilyinto your lost calls - unless you are challenging aflock of mature gobs, then you best break them up.

As far aspure adrenaline rush of turkey hunting goes, hard to beat the spring drumming of an unseenmature gob...

-fsh

Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jghoffman12

the sounds and behavior ofa turkey in the spring is better but the bugs are worse. if you want to see some spooky turkeys try fall hunting. i do both and i love both ways. you'll learn a lot if you chase them in the fall and that can help you in the spring
You love both ways huh??? Just kidding...I hunt both fall and spring too. Spring is definitely my favorite but what I love about fall hunting is I get to take my dog with me. The poor girl freaks out when she sees me get up early in the spring and leave without her.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, Spring is way better than the fall.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM

SPRING, IF HE AIN'T GOBBLIN, I AIN'T HUNTN. WE DON'T HAVE A FALL SEASON. IENJOY THE CALLIN AND GOBBLIN. THE KILL REALLY DOESN'T MATTER TO ME.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: one on one
SPRING, IF HE AIN'T GOBBLIN, I AIN'T HUNTN. WE DON'T HAVE A FALL SEASON. IENJOY THE CALLIN AND GOBBLIN...
Well, they'llgobble in the fall too for sure. Too bad on no fall season, youcan call and get gobblin'(sometimes) plus yelping and kee-kee'ng to boot - you don't (?)know what you are missing... 10-4 on the killing, just playing the game is enough...
-fsh
Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 PM

FSHAFLY2, YEA I HEARD ONE GOBBLIN THE LAST WEEK OF DEER SEASON, THE KEE KEE'NG IS GREAT TO HEAR
Old 03-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Honestly, i think it depends on what your trying to do....if you want to put a turkey in your freezer before the snow flies...then fall is a good time for that....the flocks are loaded with adolescent jakes and jennies..not to mention they tend to 'mill' more in the fall...as someone said...there's no pressure from the human predators. Not to mention, most states allow you to harvest either sex in the fallBut, you will be hard pressed to score on a big tom , your calling and woodsmanship will have to carry you to that harvest.
If your looking for the sport of turkey hunting, springtime is the way to go. The thrill of a typical spring season day is exhillarating. From putting the toms to bed the night before to outwitting them to the flydown locations (hoping your the only 'hen' they're looking for), the booming gobble as he comes into your setup from behind your tree, hearing the 'pfffft-whoooom' of his struts.....yikes...sorry...i was just living out one of my last hunts...lolol...sorry guys...anyway...take it for whuts it worth...you'll find the benefits in either season to fit your needs....good luck
Old 03-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love em both
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM

yeah....i gotta agree with ya jalvja...i'm just glad i'm out hunting them
Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't insinuating that I was a real turkey hunter by killing fall gobblers... I've never fall turkey huntedI'd much rather hunt deer in the fall

I just stick to my guns when it comes to hunting pressured public land gobbler(Pa,Md,Va,WV)

What's Primos's slogan??? It's the TRUTH

Quick Reply: which season is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.