Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Flitecontrol #4's vs WIn HV #4's...50yd shoot out. >

Flitecontrol #4's vs WIn HV #4's...50yd shoot out.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Flitecontrol #4's vs WIn HV #4's...50yd shoot out.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Flitecontrol #4's vs WIn HV #4's...50yd shoot out.

I bought a box of Federal flitecontrol #4's,and a box of Win HV #4's.Both of these shells claim 1300fps velocities.Both shells are 3.5",and have 2oz of shot.Average pellet count is 270.I was initially going to test 5 different chokes,but money shortage was an issue.I tested with 4 chokes.

A star dot(.670),Undertaker(.665),Mad Max(.665),and H.S.Undertaker(.675)

I am shooting an 870 Super mag with a 28" barrel,and tru-glo fully adjustable metal sights.All shots were at 50yds.The target was a large quaker boy 21"x20" sheet.

These are the results.

Stardot&Winchester=140 hits on the paper,44 in the 12" inner circle
Stardot&Flitecontrol=114 hits on the paper,48 hits in the 12" inner circle

Undertaker&Winchester=126 on the paper,51 hits in the 12" inner circle
Undertaker&Flitecontrol=116 on the paper,46 hits in the 12" inner circle

Mad Max&Winchester=139 hits on the paper,52 hits in the 12" inner circle
Mad Max&Flitecontrol=122 hits on the paper,46 hits in the 12" inner circle

H.S.Undertaker&Winchester=143 hits on the paper,45 hits in the 12" inner circle
H.S.Undertaker&Flitecontrol=120 hits on the paper,37 hits in the 12" inner circle

The flitecontrol wads did go about 8-10 more yards on average.

Winchester 3.5" HV #4's are the clear winner in my gun with all 4 different chokes.Winning7 of8 comparisons.(hits on sheet,and hits in a 12" circle).

After looking at the numbers the H.S. Undertaker had the most hits on the 20"x21" paper,with 143,however the most hits in the 12" circle was from the Mad Max,with 52.

The 2 highest hits on the 20"x21" sheet came from the two most open chokes.(Star-dot .670,and H.S. Undertaker .675).This proves how some guns like a more open choke with larger shot,and these are only 2oz loads.

The star-dot came in 2nd with total hits on the paper,but next to last in total hits in a 12" circle.However it had one of the top 2 most evenly distributed patterns.

So what do Ilook for besides # of hits?...

After careful examination,I found alot of uneven turkey headsized holes in most of the patterns.The two most even patterns were from the Star-dot(like I said earlier),and the Mad MAX.One note here.The Mad Max cost $60(on sale now at Cabelas for $30),and the Star-dot cost $20!I THINK THIS CALLS FOR A 60 YD SHOOTOUT TOMORROW!I will use the 3.5" Win HV #4's.I hope this is interesting.To be continued....(STAR-DOT VS MAD MAX @ 60YDS!)

Old 02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Flitecontrol #4's vs WIn HV #4's...50yd shoot out.

ORIGINAL: ranchand99
So what do Ilook for besides # of hits?...
Well,your values are suggestive of a difference, but the the statistical significance of your trial is lacking - meaning that random variation could be leading you astray. But you do not have enough data to determine whether that is the case. Suggest you at least take the average of three shots (8 would be better if you can afford it) and then make a comparison. With eight shots, you candetermine the mean values, calculate the standard deviation, and then determine if there is a likely difference in performance...
On the other hand, just call the bird to within 30 yds .

-fsh
Old 02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

[8D]Well,I didfail tomention that each figure was the best of a 3 shot test.Not the average,but the best.Meaning there were 3 shots with each shell,and each choke.However it was a large waste of money as each pattern only varied in less than a dozen hits.SO there is sufficient evidence.

Also this is not a 30yd shootout.I could use a 2 3/4" load of low brass 6's at that range.That's like using a 270WSM for shots at 50yds or less only.That's why270wsm's don't come with iron sights.I would rather go with more hits in a larger area,than limiting myself to a smaller area to make my decision.I wanta pattern that is more evenly distibuted.But for that,there has to be enough hits to have an evenly distibuted pattern.When some people pattern they only look at head,neck hits,or 10" circle hits.I am taking into consideration a larger circle too,incase he jerks his little head.Thanks for the interest and insight.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ranchand99, sounds like some good testing to me, just my opinion. Think I am gonna have to take a look at the Winchesters when I get home!

[8D]
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good info Randy...appreciate the post!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.Something else I forgot.I did not shoot the fed's but 2 times with the Star-dot,and H.S.Undertaker.I only had 10.They weren't patterning worth a toot anyways,and I didn't see the need to buy another box for 2 more shots,When there wasn't really any differences in the patterns from shot to shot.I did have plenty of the Win Hv's from last year,and that's how I was able to shoot them 3 times for each choke.I'm glad someone finds it interesting,and I hope it helps someone else.I hope I have time tomorrow.I forgot we are back on 10's.Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:32 PM

I would also try the Winchester XX loads. When I tested both in my BPS, my BPS really like the slower stuff better.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really cant see doing a test at 60 yards...

Don't think it's wise to shot at a gobbler that far[]
Old 02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure I can afford to wound a paper turkey.[8D]I want to see which of the 2 chokesare the best.You never know when you may mis-judge,so it's best to know the limitations of your gun.This gun has taken birds farther than50yds before,and I am aware that I stand alone on that subject for the most part(besides hevi/nitro users).I hear suggestions of 3-5 hits in the head,and neck.I'm getting more than that at 50yds,and hey isn't that why everyone likes nitro/and hevi.B/C they want longer shots,more hits.I have a point behind this thread.Mr.Longbeard..Hang in there with me.

Yes,I know a wounded bird could happen,and as I have stated in previous post.I have shot turkeys at 60 for 50yds,I have shot them at 50yds for 60yds,and I have shot them at 19yds,and I have let them go when in doubt,only to find out they were wellin range.I have passed them at 35yds b/c they were moving a little too quickly.Long distance shooting isn't for everyone.Also,I don't just shoot when a bird gets to 50yds.I like them around 30.Just like most of you.I though the trend was to shoot farther,not call birds in close.

Well,work isn't going to let me test them until Friday anyways...