HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When and how did you first get hooked?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
maineac
Fork Horn

Default RE: When and how did you first get hooked?

Started slow when seasons opened in Massachusetts. Went out a couple of times, but knew nothing about it. Hunted mid morning, never heard or saw a turkey. Moved to Maine. Ten years later we get a season in the area Ilive in. I don't get a permit but a friend does. We go out and I call and he guns. Hearing birds gobble on the roost and respond to calls was great. Last day of the season we worked the same bird for six hours. After four hours of calling with him not moving into a shooting lane. He was 35 yards away up the field edge in a woods road. Two more steps and he would have been in the field enough to shoot. He gobbled and strutted there for three hours. He finally snuck up the tree line and was ten tards away in the brush but my buddy would not shoot. The gobbler spotted something he didn't like and left. We circled gave him an hour and started from a different direction. Never got him, but it is stil lone of the best hunts I have had. Been hooked ever since. Even started making calls I've got it so bad.