Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Decoys

Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkey Decoys

I set them up if I have time and if I don't have time I don't worry
about it. I seem to have good luck either way.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: maytom

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.
Ditto!!! But needless to say, Iwouldn't leave home without them.

Double Ditto!!!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:39 PM

Since sometimes they pull them in, and sometimes they keep them away, I rarely see any use for them. I've never worked a bird without decoys where wished I had decoys, but I have worked them with decoys where I wish I wouldn't have.

Hal
Old 01-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great point Hawg!!!My feelings exactly!!I keep reading everyone saying that sometimes they work and other times no!On the times that it did work was it the decoy that really made the difference or do you think the bird would of came in without it anyway?????Personally I would rather thebird look for me and not my deke!If I was bow huntin I might change my tune!!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Bob,I would have to add on my previous post,and say that on highly pressured birds I don't use them.I feel like you sometimes too,that it is best sometimes to make him look for you.However sometimes a stubborn bird may need the image of a jake trying to breed his hen,to make him jealous enough to come in,with that said...I have had Toms look at my decoys,and keep on their way without a worry,but you can be amazed at some of the reactions that you can get from them.

I have read up alot on bowhunting turkeys,and this one guy had a tactic I really liked.He set up 25-30yds away from his decoys .Between the Tom,and the decoys.Basically with his back towards the tom.while he looked back at his decoys,He said it worked great for getting a tom with a bow.Most of the time the Tom would walk right by him,and when the tom went in full strut he would draw,while the tail fan was blocking the toms view.I'm going to try it this year.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the yeas I have used a number of Coys on the market today. As stated above sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But I have found that the BuckWing Bobblin head is the best of the best.

What I have noticed is these coy's need some modification. and I have changed them a little, adding a little more darker color up the back of the head and have also cut out more room at the bottom , so the spring can move freely back and forth to make the coy look as if it is feeding. Also I have glued the nut on the top and did not tigthen it down so the decoy can easyly move around the bolt it is sitting on. I also cut some of the material away from the sides of the head that moves back and forth to allow the head to bobble more freely.

Now here is a little tip I use quite often. If you place a decoy out and work a bird or birds into seeing range and the birds will not come into your shot range , but instead move off and work back " As to get the hen to come to them" when the bird moves off , get up fast and get out and pull the decoy and then quickly move back to your setup point and sit quiet and don't call Gobblers hate that and will walk into where the decoy was to see where the hen went. Try that on the next frustrating hunt with decoys...BT
Old 01-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm going to try that Adrain.........i just got that bobblehead hen, i'm telling ya, i have her set up in my room, i love watching her, i hope those gobblers feel the same, lol.....i dont like the buulky rubber she has, but i think a couple of the foam ones will be accompy her in the woods, lol...... i like to use jakes in the early season, then i tend to stray from them..and i also dont like sticking my decoy out in the open later in the season, i like to have her walking into some palmetto or something,not just in the open....
Old 01-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great tip BT!!!Although I rarely use coys another little tip as you just pointed out is sometimes you just have to take a chance!I ve done this very same thing as you BT but left the decoy standing and just cut the distance from where the birdswere to good shooting range!Alot of times I end up in a prone position but I've killed a whole lot of birds in this fashion before!!It also works without a decoy too,particularly on those quiet birds that tend to like to hang up or quarter your set-up where they heard you calling from!!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

i like to use different tactics just another option I do not use dekes in every set up sometimes calls do not work I do not leave them in the truck if I have to move and get ahead of travelling birds I will do that I just see how every situation plays out ever try moving away from a hung up gobbler?