Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

DRESSING THE BIRD

Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: DRESSING THE BIRD

I breast them out by filleting along the breast bone. I once had the bright idea to grill the legs, they turned out so tough my lab coulnd'v get them off the bone.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to bake it ordeep fry it then you need to pluck it. Keep the skin on.

It is easy to pluck. I boil a large pan of water then pour it into a five gallon bucket then add some cold water to get it to the right temp. You'll want it just hot enough to make the feathers slip but not so hot as to cook the bird. Soak it until the wing feathers start to pull out easily then pull like a mad man before it gets cold. You can pluck it in just a couple of minutes then singe the fine hairs and gut, cook, and enjoy.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killmeatm

I breast them out by filleting along the breast bone. I once had the bright idea to grill the legs, they turned out so tough my lab coulnd'v get them off the bone.
I tried a method I read about called cold pull. I boiled the legs and thighs and wings, then after it cools you can pick the meat from the bones. It will take a while to pick all the bones, but let me tell you, the bbq was worth it! [8D]
Old 02-24-2006, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info jlmoore I'll have to try that because I hate waisting any part of the animals I kill.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killmeatm

Thanks for the info jlmoore I'll have to try that because I hate waisting any part of the animals I kill.
I hate wasting it too, I even send the feathers to the Zuni Indains. The wing feathers get made into fletch, and then the fan, spurs and beard. Even try to use the neck if not too bad shot up. I am even thinking of trying a full cape mount for the wall. Probably some friends would like that.

Advantage of cold pull. You can make chilli, soup, bbq! Fajitas! What ever you can imagine!