Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Questions

Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Turkey Questions

I have been turkey hunting for about 12 years and only killed one gobbler. I hunt the mountains of Va. where turkey hunting is only fair. The questions that I have,

I called in a turkey that had a red neck area but no beard. I didn't shoot, but I was wondering, was this a gobbler without a beard?

When I deer hunt in the fall I see lots of birds and several nice gobblers. In the spring they seem tovanish. Doturkeysprefer different areas in the spring versus fall and winter.

I am starting to get discourage. Idon't hear much gobbling in the spring in the areas I hunt. Should I pick one stand and stay put or move around untilI hear a gobble? By the way, I am not new to hunting, just not a very successful turkey hunter. I use box calls,mouth calls and decoys.help
Old 01-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Turkey Questions

Generally most toms have a red white or blue head. Most mature toms have some type of beard. Some jakes have very small beards. Cant say whether it was a tom or not. The toms and Jakes are generally bigger than a hen. Could you see if it had spurs. Thats a tell tale sign thats a Tom or Jake. Jakes have very small spurs but they can be seen. Turkeys do winter in different areas. Ive seen this many times.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude if your not hearing much gobbling and not seeing much turkey sign. I would recomend looking for a new area... Va has some big state forest... I would take a day and just drive around and look for some areas that have a lot of vehicles... Trucks = turkeysI hate to say it but that is life on public land
Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing it was a hen or jake that you saw. I've seen hens with red on their heads. If you dont hear much gobbling in the area you hunt, is it possible to find another area or two to hunt. Sounds like tough hunting. On the mornings you do hear a gobbler, try and make it count. Get as close as you can to him and see what you can do. Hope this helps some. Is it public land that you hunt? This can make a difference. If they are hunted hard, they might still be there but just be quiet.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Capt,first I want to commend you for not shooting a positive target!To legally shoot a tom in our state it must have a visible beard!Dont know if this was the case but I have killed a # of turkeys with beard rot which causes the beard to break off to the point of just being a nub!A full fan imho is the best way to determine for sure an adult gobbler!
Wild turkeys definately can have a fall/winter home and move to breeding/nesting grounds come spring!Feed,water,weather,terrain,determine these factors but its very common!I would suggest you get in those mountains at least a month before spring season opens and do yourself some scouting!On nice early morning spring days before season pick a high spot and listen for roosted birds before flydown!Look for tracks,scratchings,droppings,on roads,trails,creek banks,or wherever the ground is soft enough to leave a turkey track!Possibly ask some of the locals,squirrel hunters,deer hunters,possibly timber workers,if they have seen any birds and where!If you dont encounter turkey sign than move on until you do!If they are there in the winter there not all that far away come spring!!You just need to put some effort into finding them before season....good luck Bob.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Thanks, for all of your replys. Here is the facts. I hunt two properties both I own. One is at my house, 40 acres 13 acresis fenced in pasture and 27 wooded. I just hunted the last day of deer season and had about 18 turkeys roost right over top of me that evening. This fall I have seen gobblersfighting each other and saw and herd numerious turkeys. If you were to hunt this property in the fall you might think this was turkey haven. Than comes spring and I may hear about 3 gobbles through thewhole season. I will hear hens now and than and even talk with a gobbler on rare occassions but no luck with killing them. Virginia DNRrates ShenandoahCounty as fair. The other spots I have is 80 acres on top of a mountain. I hear a few gobbles in the spring but few and far between. My goals is to kill a Turkey. I killed one niceGobbler about 12 years ago,this was in another area of Virginia. I know that the Turkey kills in Virginia were down the past several years due to poorpoult production. I do believe they are starting to come back. I guess it puzzles me why I see a ton of turkeys in the fall and winter, than come spring they are hard to find.

Ibought a national Forest Stamp and plan to try my luck on public land. This may give me more roomto call."The Question " should I keep moving until I locate a gobbler or should I sit in one spot and call/listen for gobbling.I don't see a lot of fresh turkey sign in the spring on the 40 acres at my house. That's why I will proably be trying the National Forrest.It is only10 minutes away. When is the best time to do Spring Scouting? Because of my work schedule, I will be able to hunt during the week days when hunting pressure is not that bad. I like Turkey hunting but getting discourage. I think I am a pretty decent caller with mouth and box.If you don't hear them or if they are with hens it is kinda of hard to call them in. I plan to monitor the turkey forum in hopes of picking up some tips. Thanks

Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Only thing I would add is, when scouting prior to the season, listen for the gobbles. Where I live they start gobbling a month before the season. I generally try to be in the area I heard the gobbles when the season opens.

dog1
Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your quest for a gobbler
Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I would do extensive preseason scouting like Bobgobble has said many times listen for gobbling from high points in mornings and evenings i would not use any turkey calls in preseason scouting i might shock gobble them into gobbling look for fresh sign and try and get a pattern on them one question is your property on mountain tops with acorn crops? they might be moving in and out with the food supply
Old 01-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Capt... I spend lot of time scouting for turkeys. I have already started and our season doesn't come in for 4 months. Look for a Pine thicket, when you find one look under the bigger pine trees for feathers and poop. Toms poop will be j shaped, the biggerthe poop,the bigger the tom. Turkeys are like deer and willl take the path of least resistence while traveling. You can also look for strut zones and dusting bowls when the weather warms up and the bugs come out. I have seen plenty of strut zones completely bare of and vegetation because of the heavy use. When you are in the woods look for area where they have scrapped up the woods in search of food.