Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Making Slate&Glass Call Pots? >

Making Slate&Glass Call Pots?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Making Slate&Glass Call Pots?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Making Slate&Glass Call Pots?

I have tried to make some of these calls in the past but where i have problems is when it comes to cutting out the pot.What do people use to cut the lip around the pot for the glass or slate to sit in also what is the best way to cut the pot out?Only one more thing i need to know is what is the best stuff to use to glue the glass or slate in with?THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Making Slate&Glass Call Pots?

buddy come join us at
http://www.ushuntingforums.com/cgi-bin/Blah.pl?
or
http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=turkey_brd;action=messageindex;start =780
great callmakers on these sites.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those two links are all you need
Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

As a custom callmaker, I can tell you the "best" way to cut the lip is on a lathe. You will have a hard time doing it consistently any other way. It can be done with Forstner bits, but then you have to punch the guts out of the pot and leave a pedestal in it, unless you are going to glue something like a washer or shiminside for the soundboard to sit on. You can use a 4-1/8" hole saw with the pilot bit removed to cut the pot out, but you have to be careful that it doesn't twist or shimmy on you. The most common way is to scribe out a circle with a compass and cut it out with a bandsaw. Then you put it on the lathe. I know some have used a router to do the work, but it is a lot more work to get consistent from call to call. If you are just trying to make one for yourself, this may work. I wouldn't do it for multiple calls. A turkey call is a musical instrument. Every little dimension will affect some aspect of the sound...sidewall thickness, bottom thickness, call depth, pedestal height, etc. all have an effect on sound.