Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Is Public land  the hardest to hunt ? >

Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Old 01-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Exactly S&R!!!I DONT hunt an area anymore that doesn't have pressured birds!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 AM

Yes, I think Public land is harder to hunt and be successful than private....public land gobblers in Giles Co, VA has humbled a many of em....I'd like to see these "experts" do it here...I'm not saying it can't be done, but it tougher.....I'll even show em the best places to go.....On the flip side, the last couple of years, I've been going to NY to hunt public land and we've killed 4 gobblers in 8 days of huntin....but the hunting pressure isn't near what I'm used to.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fullback you sound like you hunt the same kind of easy public land gobbler I hunt

I've got a buddy of mine that dosen't know jack about turkey hunting. He killed a nice longbeard last spring on public land... Just so happens this public land is right in the middle of juppy ville... So it dosen't get hammered with hunting pressure... Now this buddy of mine is a Pa boy who has hunted Pa public land for the last 10 years and his dad has been hunting it for the last 30 years... His dad has managed to kill 1 gobbler in 30 years and my buddy has yet to harvest a Pa public land gobbler...

I'm not saying you cant kill public land gobblers.. Even a blind hog finds a acorn once in awhileI'm just saying that if you can do it cosistently(spelling) on public land then you can kill gobblers anywere!!! That would be me.Mr. Longbeard

I was sitting at a dinner a few springs ago and was talking to a guy who was a pretty avid turkey hunter... He was telling me about all the states he had hunted and all the gobblers he killed that spring... Well this seasoned hunter said something to me that made me fell good... He said "these turkeys up hear are the hardest turkeys I've ever hunted"

Lets face it. You guys know public land gobblers are harder to kill.

The only reason we arehaving this post is to ..

#1 try to pravoke me to say something to get me kick off this forum

#2you had all winter to think about what i've said about your private
land gobblers and you need your ego's pumped back up before this
spring gets hear

Old 01-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longbeard , I was just plain out revin ya up. If you can kill gobblers better then I , then Thats great, I don't know you on a personal level and I know its like wize , but in the end we all are turkey hunters ,know matter where we hunt. I've killed a gobbler or two over the years and I know you have as well.

We are both on here for a reason , at times I'm not sure why you say what you do , but I know I am here to help if I can and have a little fun at it along the way.

Someday maybe our paths will cross and you never know I just may learn a trick or two from you as , you may learn from me.

Don't take the revin I have gave ya personaly , because to be honest ,,, Thats not me.

Hey maybe you should come up to Canada and kill some easy birds and have some fun instead of being all tenced up hunting them Damn Hard hunted presure Public land birds ...BT
Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Hey maybe you should come up to Canada and kill some easy birds...
Yep. They'll sit there nice for you sometimes.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Lets face it. You guys know public land gobblers are harder to kill.

Mr.Longbeard.NOBODY here ever argued the point that public land birds are harder to take than private land.The problem I have is when you made the comment that anyone who has killed over 50 birds must only hunt tame private land birds.Well I'll tell ya straight,that is pure B.S You don't know me so don't try to judge me.I'm rather proud of what I've accomplished in the turkey woods over the last 30+ years.As for you I don't know you either but if you're not takin PUBLIC LAND gobblers on a regular basis then I can only assume you're not doin somethin right.It's a fact you can't hunt public birds the same as the private land birds but over the years a few of us have learned the diffrence.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude I'm sure your a good turkey hunter and I'm sure if you hunted in my stomping grounds you could kill Gobblers there also... But I'm also sure some of those 50+ gobblers came in on a string... MY TURKEYS DON'T COME IN ON A STRING!!!! I'm sure they would if they weren't messed with weeks before the season comes in...

One of these days maybe I'll get lucky and get a chance to hunt some of those greenfield turkeys
Old 01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

I assume this is a simple public v.s. private. If so, then there is no doubt public toms are tuffer to kill.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Dude I'm sure your a good turkey hunter and I'm sure if you hunted in my stomping grounds you could kill Gobblers there also... But I'm also sure some of those 50+ gobblers came in on a string... MY TURKEYS DON'T COME IN ON A STRING!!!! I'm sure they would if they weren't messed with weeks before the season comes in...

One of these days maybe I'll get lucky and get a chance to hunt some of those greenfield turkeys
I can tell you have not hunted Pa. much if you think these birds aren't pressured.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Longbeard, Let's stop the bickerin and talk turkey hunter to turkey hunter.I really believe anyonewould increase their success if they adapt to the situation.Every bird is diffrent.It's not rocket science.If I can do it anyone can.Personally I prefer to hunt tougher birds.I don't care if I ever shoot another bird.I just enjoy the challenge.Adrian knows me better than anyone.I'll bet he can't count the # of times I've had a nice longbeard in range and chose not to shoot.Those birds gave us a good hunt and for me that was enough.He can tell you no matter what happened,I missed,someone else bumped the bird,the birds just wouldn't cooperate.I've never walked out of the turkey woods upset or sad or mad.I'm just thankful for each and every hunt.I really hope that someday you'll feel the same way.

Quick Reply: Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.