Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Is Public land  the hardest to hunt ? >

Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

dont make me kick y'all in the butt for all this bickering.....
all i am going to say is i have learned more from Adrain and Jalva than anyone here.....turkey hunting is about having a good time, watching that dance, if it happens then woohooooo, if not oh well, next time....it's not a game of who can be the best....so stop all of this bickering PLEASE.................
Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the kind words Ma

I'm also glad you put my name before Jalvja's

LOL...BT
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah yes BT...but we know when your chasin those high pressured,call shy,tight lipped,spooky public gobblers,you look to ole reliable Jimbo(or should I say DOOD)and his secret sqeaky gate call!!!Pulls em in on a string every time!!!!!!!!I agree Ma,Jalvja and Adrian have helped a whole lotta folks with a wealth of good positive info!!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

all i am going to say is i have learned more from Adrain and Jalva than anyone here.....turkey hunting is about having a good time, watching that dance, if it happens then woohooooo, if not oh well, next time....it's not a game of who can be the best....so stop all of this bickering PLEASE.................

You tell'um Ma!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

Dang,If I woulda known a lil bit of bickerin would get me my butt kicked by Ma,I woulda started it a long time ago
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol.....i knew jalvja would like that, lol.......
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM

In my opinion you got public land birdsand then you got public land birds..all public land birds are not the same...it's how much they are pressured that makes them hard to kill.Some public land like the area I been hunting is hit so hard with so many people every day of the season on every area thatafter the first couple of wks. the birds will ignor a call or walk away. I hear gobblers just about every morning and when I get set-up and call they may gobble back right off inresponse, but if you could interpet their gobble in english it would say.."I'm up here in this tree..if you want some of me..get over here where I can see you".Since I don't they will just gobble as if they don't even hear my calling. That's what extreme pressure will do. There's a bootprint in every good spot and when it gets like that it's time to hunt else where or forget about all the sweet talk and wait them out..which I don't care todo. I like to call.So I'm going to hunt a different pc. of public land this yr...will hunt the old place a few time early and then get away from the crowd.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM

I like to watch the outdoor channel, and I like to watch turkey hunting videos, not really to learn something, but I enjoy watching it....one thing I've noticed is the terrain, most of these guys on the TV are hunting fairly flat looking ground......me, I'm working out right now for the upcoming season, one because here, you're either going up or down, and two, I make the hikes to try to get away from the majority of the pressure......another observation is that the TV hunters get away with a heck of alot more movement and noise than I've ever seen.....People often times ask me about the hunting around here in south-west VA....I tell them that the gobblers don't come in looking for a hen, they come in looking for something to run from......I'm going to say, and I honestly believe this, but I believe that some of the best turkeyHUNTERSin the United States are not on the TV, but they live here, in Giles County, VA. The Pembroke Turkey Posse didn't get its' name by killing a turkey or two a year....I'm not an expert nor do I profess to be, but I'd rather spring gobbler hunt than anything......Mr. Longbeard, I'm in total agreement with you....public land will make you a better turkey hunter, and is harder to hunt because they normally don't hear a call everyday, buteven I have had a birdor two come inon a string,a hunt that seemed just to easy, only to humbled again down the road...I'd say if you have NEVER experienced at least one kamkazie then youmay need to rethink your positon or tactics.....like you said earlier about the blind hog....Whatever the circumstance, I'd prefer not to lesson or cheapen someone elses birds because they're taken on private or public....the only thing I will raise an eyebrow at is this sniper hunting and roost shooting.....I do feel like, if someone can't kill them with a shotgun via calling them in, then they need not kill.....that's getting away from the subject.....anyway, like I've said before, I've been to NY for the past 2 years on public land and have heard more gobbling and called in more turkeys than any 4 day hunt I've ever been on......I tend to think that those yankee toms just like a seductive southern mountain draw...LOL...Ya'll ever read Tom Kelly's Tenth Legion?? I'm reading it again for the 4th time, the first two chapter covers all this....not about public vs. private, but about the people.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fullback24

I like to watch the outdoor channel, and I like to watch turkey hunting videos, not really to learn something, but I enjoy watching it....one thing I've noticed is the terrain, most of these guys on the TV are hunting fairly flat looking ground......me, I'm working out right now for the upcoming season, one because here, you're either going up or down, and two, I make the hikes to try to get away from the majority of the pressure......another observation is that the TV hunters get away with a heck of alot more movement and noise than I've ever seen.....People often times ask me about the hunting around here in south-west VA....I tell them that the gobblers don't come in looking for a hen, they come in looking for something to run from......I'm going to say, and I honestly believe this, but I believe that some of the best turkeyHUNTERSin the United States are not on the TV, but they live here, in Giles County, VA. The Pembroke Turkey Posse didn't get its' name by killing a turkey or two a year....I'm not an expert nor do I profess to be, but I'd rather spring gobbler hunt than anything......Mr. Longbeard, I'm in total agreement with you....public land will make you a better turkey hunter, and is harder to hunt because they normally don't hear a call everyday, buteven I have had a birdor two come inon a string,a hunt that seemed just to easy, only to humbled again down the road...I'd say if you have NEVER experienced at least one kamkazie then youmay need to rethink your positon or tactics.....like you said earlier about the blind hog....Whatever the circumstance, I'd prefer not to lesson or cheapen someone elses birds because they're taken on private or public....the only thing I will raise an eyebrow at is this sniper hunting and roost shooting.....I do feel like, if someone can't kill them with a shotgun via calling them in, then they need not kill.....that's getting away from the subject.....anyway, like I've said before, I've been to NY for the past 2 years on public land and have heard more gobbling and called in more turkeys than any 4 day hunt I've ever been on......I tend to think that those yankee toms just like a seductive southern mountain draw...LOL...Ya'll ever read Tom Kelly's Tenth Legion?? I'm reading it again for the 4th time, the first two chapter covers all this....not about public vs. private, but about the people.
Nice post. Killing a turkey anywhere is a trophy, but dealing with public ground birds will, over time, harden your resovle. Lengthen your patience span. It will learn you howto mix patience with dogged determination. On public ground you must not only figure in a strategy to kill the bird, but figure other hunters into the mix as well. Lot more to consider than when hunting birds that only u r likely to duel with. To say it will make a better hunter out of you is NOT to say it will make youa better hunter than anyone else. I hunt both public & private tho much of my first 13 years were ALL public, the past couple years i have gotten more access onto private ground. Other than having other hunters in the mix, it was close to the same. .Tho hard pressured birds are tuffer, and your going to find a much larger petrcentage of pressured birds on public, even there if you getTHAT bird in THAT right frame of mind, he can be jusr as easy as anywhere. I have always said that leaving your decoys at home will make a much better turkey hunter out of ya, but people get thier dander up, thinking im putting down those who do while elevating myself but i feel it's true. But thats for another thread another time.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 AM

I agree turk......consistantly killing public land gobblers will make you sharper and keen and hone skills and test patience, and I don't say that with arrogance.....and your right, it doesn't make one better than everyone else. And I have killed public land birds and have been invited to hunt private land, and approached it arrogance and the attitude that "this will be a piece of cake" only to be humbled once again....Tom Kelly said that when he kills a bird or is in on a good hunt he thanks God that He allowed him to see it play out once again....that's the mentality that I try to have while doing what I love the most, as an outdoorsmen.

Quick Reply: Is Public land the hardest to hunt ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.