Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New To Turkey, Cant Call....... >

New To Turkey, Cant Call.......

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New To Turkey, Cant Call.......

Old 12-16-2005, 06:35 AM

Default New To Turkey, Cant Call.......

I am new to turkey hunting. I have NO idea how to call them in. I have a couple different mouth calls and a crow call. Thats it. I hear that a lot of people prefer the box and slate calls. My question: Is there a CD or DVD that I can purchase to learn. If so, can anybody reccomend one in particular?? Or is anybody selling one??
Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 AM

Default RE: New To Turkey, Cant Call.......

Go to your local sporting goods store, WalMart, etc and get you a box call and a tape to listen to. You'll be calling in gobblers before you know it.

Hal
Old 12-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a lot more to Turkey hunting other then Calling. Calling is good to get to know the basics and you can do that with a tape. Most call companies have tapes/cd's to lern the basics , or a Call lerning Video would do aswell.

You maybe best to show up at some shows and sit in on some seminars aswell. This will help you with Woodsman ship and calling and tricks that can be used to out smart that Ol Longbeard.

As for turkey hunting Calling is only one part that needs to be touched...BT
Old 12-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I would recommend a push button to start off with. Then to a slate or box call then on to the mouth calls. There are many different cds and dvds on the market to help you learn how to call. Go to your sporting goods store. A crow call is ok but you also need and owl hoot or a coyote call for early morning before sun up if you want to locate turkeys on the roost.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:32 PM

I have learned more about turkey calling by being in the woods listening to turkeys than I have ever learned on a tape. Go out and listen and learn!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: knemohunter

I have learned more about turkey calling by being in the woods listening to turkeys than I have ever learned on a tape. Go out and listen and learn!!!
I second that. I usually listen to the hens in the area and try to imitate them. I like to take my calls with me during deer seasontoo and talk to them. Try to master a few different calls to add variety. I carry a slate, box, and two mouth calls.

To start I would practice with a push,box or slatethey are the easiest to use. Then try a mouth call. I personally like the sound of friction calls better, but when they come closeyou need your hands free, so I always have mouth call in.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Adrian nailed it one the head...Listen to him, Hes probally the #1 turky hunter here
Old 12-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a beginner I'd start with a box call. Get one and then search the internet for intructional cd's. Then practice. Just keep practicing. Box calls are pretty easy to use so it shouldn't take too long to get it down.