Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What makes one Gobbler better then another >

What makes one Gobbler better then another

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What makes one Gobbler better then another

Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What makes one Gobbler better then another

For years I have read debates about Guns, Patterns, Calls,and shells and allways seem to see posts that a user expresses their opinion about a 20 Lb or better gobbler they got and the equipment they used was a big facter in that kill.

I don't understand what makes a 20+ gobbler harder to kill then say a 17-18 pound bird

Am I missing something here [&:] I thought that any Good Old Longbeard could be hard to kill at anytime

This should start a war [8D]

What makes a better gobbler , then from another gobbler ?

...BT
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What makes one Gobbler better then another

I think you are right to a big extent. The weight especially shouldn't be as big a factor as it is. Now the older the bird, the harder he probably is to hunt, and the only way to consistantly tell the age of the bird would probably be the spurs. Anyway I'm with you, a longbeard is a longbeard and I'll always be proud of all of them, no matter what his "stats" are.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

What makes a better gobbler , then from another gobbler ?

...BT
That's an easy one to answer.The best gobbler is the one over my shoulder. Seriously I know exactly what you're sayin.I've had some big gobblers almost come runnin in while some smaller birds really made me work for them.It's the ones I really had to work for that I treasure the most.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 PM

OK, This will end up a little strange but here goes.

Spurs mean the most to me as far as a trophy, next is a thick lengthy Beard and combonation of the two is all the better.
But harvesting a Gobbler that is runnin with a harem of hens is the greatest feeling of acomplishment.

A Gobblers weight has the least meaning to me as Gobblers will loose weight during peak Gobbling, as a Buck does during the rut. An 18 lb Gobbler in mid-May could have been a 22 pounder in early April.

And nice job with the 20 gu Adrian, we gotta talk.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian, the actual weight of a gobbler doesn't mean squat to me as much as his beard and spurs. As you know, when our spring season starts here in NY on May1st, the birds will weigh the most, but by the end of the month they will loose anywhere from 5-7 lbs just from the mating process alone. Very similar to a rutting buck!! Also, for those who actually hunt for a "set of spurs", give me a break!! When you see a full fan, (indictaing a mature tom), and a dandy beard, the trigger is getting pulled!! The spurs are more of a "surprise" after you walk up to the downed bird anyway!!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Spurs, beards, fans oh my! The war has started. The funny thing is that everyone is telling their opinions on what-how-why-where they selected their "best" Tom, and alot of people are missing the big picture. But with this war of words going like "I only hunt for spurs" or the "biggest" beard or "best fan", people forget that you are harvesting a bird. I use "EVERY DAMN PART" that turkey gives me, since that is the least I can do when I harvest a wild turkey. That bird lived long enough for my bow or turkey gun to harvest it and showing respect to the bird while using all parts is what hunting should be exercised like.
Yes, you can identify a certain tom that has or appears to have a 11 inch beard, or looks like a 22 pounder, or its fan is complete and colorful, but its mere a quick visual to help further along the hunting process, thus working towards a goal to enjoy the whole stalk. I think people forget the "whole" experience, and why they are there. Going turkey hunting just to get a nice set of spurs is meaningless to me. Are you going to make a neckless out of them? A booger picker? Back-scratcher? Is that fan you hunt for only going to make a nice lamp decoration? Or is that beard that you only concentrate on hunting for going to be your new fly-swatter??? If people only pick one item or feature when they go hunting, like I said before, they lose the whole shabang with the preparationg, the stalk, the taking, and the rewards. I will repeat myself again, I hunt turkey for the whole bird, not just beacuse it has big spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:01 PM

No argument here, I agree whole heartedly.
I Love Turkeys even when I aint huntin em.
I've never hunted for spurs, they are a nice bonus.
Last year I harvested a Gobbler that carried a 7 1/2 inch beard., Man that was a good time. He sure was speacial.

As I ORIGINALLY said a Gobbler will loose weight during peak Gobbling (breading season) as a Buck does during the Rut.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

If I get any longbeard in front of my sights, hes payin the price. I myself think every turkey I harvest is a trophy.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this sport wasn't challenging it wouldn't peek my interest!If the bird has a long beard,weighs20 plus lbs,and trophy like spurs "awesome"but if he didn't so what!!Some of the most memorable hunts I've ever had were dealing with 2 year old elusive call shy birds and jakes for that matter,especially in my early turkey huntin years!What I always get a kick out of BT is those individuals who like to talk about the birds in there neck of the woods are the toughest to hunt anywhere!!!True trophys......[:-][&:]

Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

If this sport wasn't challenging it wouldn't peek my interest!If the bird has a long beard,weighs20 plus lbs,and trophy like spurs "awesome"but if he didn't so what!!Some of the most memorable hunts I've ever had were dealing with 2 year old elusive call shy birds and jakes for that matter,especially in my early turkey huntin years!What I always get a kick out of BT is those individuals who like to talk about the birds in there neck of the woods are the toughest to hunt anywhere!!!True trophys......[:-][&:]
I have to agree, I can sum up what makes the best gobbler for me.....THE HUNT, and how it played out. Last spring I shot a huge bird 22lbs, 11.5" beard, 1 1/4 and 1 1/5 spurs, opening morning and although he made me work, it was over quickly. This past spring I hunted hard for weeks for one particular bird 2nd year bird that was call shy and I even missed him....twice...the only bird I've ever missed...no wonder he was call shy and then ended up killing him the last Thursday of the season. Although smaller to last years, he means a little more in terms of memories....I cherish them all, just some hunts have been better than others.

Last years.

This years, at the taxidermist for a flying mount.

Quick Reply: What makes one Gobbler better then another

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.