Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting? >

Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting?

Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting?

What has everyone had the most results from as far as calls in the turkey woods?I myself like a slate call and mouth call?Whats the cody slate sound like it has to be good i would think?Im thinking about getting one for myself for this year i made my own last year and did pretty good with it.I used glass to make it and walnut shell.Its alot of fun to make your own call and here a tom answer to it thats a great feeling trust me
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting?

if youre not using a custom call, i'd go with primos power crystal....it is a sweet sounding call
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 AM

I use the Primos Power Crystal and Primos Box Cutter. I enjoy using both if I need, just to get a slightly different call each time. Those are the only calls I use. The combo bags me many Tom's every year.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:38 AM

I doubt this is what is preferred by most, but for me...

Box call: White Hunter's Hustlin Hen
Peg and pot: Primos Power Crystal
Mouth call: varies -- right now I'm partial to Quaker Boys double reed
Wing bone: my brother's homemade

Hal

Old 12-09-2005, 12:36 PM

Box call for me, sometimes use a slate. I cannot use the mouth calls at all, gag on them every time.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

i use many different calls but out west nothing beats agood boxcall
Old 12-11-2005, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: ultimag

i use many different calls but out west nothing beats agood boxcall
Amen to that. I'm not a good turkey caller, but my dad really gets into it. I have done all of my turkey hunts with him. What I have learned is, if you can't get them to respond to a box call, you're not going to get a response. Most of my dad's calls that he uses are custom made and the people that made them are almost all dead, which raises the value of them. Even though he uses custom made box calls most of the time, he has done well with those mass producedbox calls from Primos, Halley Caller, and H.S. Strut.

There is also a mouth call he gets good results with. He says they don't make it anymore but it is made by Quaker Boy. They came out with a new version of the call that my dad bought but hasn't seemed to make the gobblers crazy like the older version. I think it is the Split Quad. Now they have the Super Split Quad that doesn't seem to have the same effect.

But overall, the box call is the way to go. I am figuring this isn't what you wanted to hear since you're a mouth and slate call fan. I am sure you're not going to go out and try to find a Split Quad, unless it is brand new and never been used.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I use either a Primos Power Crystal or a Quaker Boy Gobbler Positioning System slate .
Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 PM

I guess over the last several years I've had the best results using a peg and pot style aluminumcall with a rosewood striker. I'm pretty fond of a long box paddle style call also. They are the 2 calls I go to most often.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:23 PM

I'm trying to deside

Quick Reply: Whats The Most Preferred Call In Turkey Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.