Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Blinds

Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Blinds

Just curious to see if others use blinds while Turkey hunting. I use a pop up blind here in Indiana (not an outhouse or anything like that just a small pop up blind). Or most of the time no blind at all. When I hunt in Missouri the outfitter use outhouses and other blinds. Only had success in Missouri once with an outhouse blind. What everyones thoughts? Arrowmaster
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM

Default RE: Blinds

I always take a piece of burlap camo material with me. Usually I'll just sit up against a tree, but if I think it'll help I hang the camo on limbs for a makeshift blind. Makes it a little easier if moving to get a shot.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM

I dont use them lots, but have used a pop up blind a little for videoing, and the turkeys are oblivious to it, they will walk by it only feet away and dont even notice it, deer seem to spot it and get nervous, but Ive never had a turkey spook from it. It is a llittle more work to carry and set up and take down all the time, expecially since I do a lot of walking and changing setups when I turkey hunt, but this year am going to use it some so I can take my son out, it will work good to conceal his movements.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually use them quite a bit. My dad hunts with me a lot and he likes to hunt them with a bow and that is a must when bow hunting. But I do like using them when I'm gun hunting as well. I've had the same experiences as Angus, deer get a little spookey of them but turkeys act like they arent even there!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the two smaller sizes of this one for turkeys:
Turkey blinds
I also use them occasionally for deer . The 42" one is great if you hate sitting on wet or cold ground , you just carry a fold-up stool or bucket with you .
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I've had the same experiences as Angus, deer get a little spookey of them but turkeys act like they arent even there!
Ditto for me also. I really like them for turkey hunting, especially to start out in one in the morning. Then if things don't work out, I'll get out and move around. They are also a great item to have when the weather gets damp.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTurkeyTamer

They are also a great item to have when the weather gets damp.
That is another excellent point!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Okie807

I always take a piece of burlap camo material with me. Usually I'll just sit up against a tree, but if I think it'll help I hang the camo on limbs for a makeshift blind. Makes it a little easier if moving to get a shot.
I am right there with that.... I tend to stalk most of my game, but always take with me colored burlap, either grassland or timber designs, to blend in. The only time I use a blind is when the ladnscape is not so forgiving, and absolute concealment needs to be done.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up one of those H.S. Strut turkey blinds that are 27" tall by 12 feet long,that folds up and stores in your vest. I have, at times, like many others who have hunted turkeys enough, gotten caught reaching for my slate call on the ground. When I looked up, there he was burning a hole right through me with his beady eyes!!
I think that with using one of these blinds, you can get away with much more "hand/call" movement than by just sitting up against a tree out in the open. Haven't tried it out as yet, but this comming spring will see it's first appearance in the spring woods.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them in the orchards around my home area!Some of our walnut and prune orchards offer no concealment at all!Occasionally a walnut will have a big trunk but generally speaking using a toothpick for a backrest just dont get it!What has worked for me is setting the blind up a couple of weeks before season!It doesn't take long for the game to become accustomed to it!And yes the weather factor being out of it can be a great asset!!

Quick Reply: Blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.