Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need some help guys...and girls >

Need some help guys...and girls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help guys...and girls

Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Need some help guys...and girls

I would love it if some of you could please give me a little advice. My husband and I just moved from Idaho to Texas and he is a little lost without his duck hunting right in the backyard. Anyway...he has decided to take up turkey hunting (which he has never done). I have always bought him stuff for hunting for Xmas but have no idea what to get in terms of turkey hunting?! [&:] Are certain calls easier or better for beginners? Do you need decoys...and if so what kind?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks and happy hunting to ya'll!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Need some help guys...and girls

Suggestion:

Go get him a Primos Power Crystal, a 3-pack of Quaker Boy mouth calls, a box call (Knight & Hale, Lynch, Redhead, etc), a nice turkey hunting vest, a turkey hunting video, a box of Winchester Supreme 3" #5 turkey loads, and a camo face mask. He'll be about ready to go, and all for under $200 bucks.

Good luck!

Hal
Old 12-01-2005, 01:36 PM

The easiest and probably best thing to do would be to get him a catalog gift certificate, and let him choose his own gear. I love getting those things, and thumbing through the catalog for hours trying to spend them!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Spike

If he is already a duck hunter he probably has most of the essential equipment, but any good duck hunter knows a good call is what it is all about. With turkey hunting the same thing applies, if the turkey don't come, you don't need a gun!
I would suggest a good peg and slate or box call, they are both deadly and require little practice to get started.
good luck, you are a fine wife for asking.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Spike

A slate call is pretty easy to learn quick, there are lots of slate type calls that come with an instructional dvd, they reallyhelp.

I agree with the gift certificate idea too, we men love our catalogue shopping!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

being a realitve new comer myself, have to go along that slate call, and even box call are the easiest to begin with. Then there is the stool with short legs that are stationary or fold up. And as someone already said, a good turkey vest!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Spike

Give him Turkey hunting videos, that way he can see what others do and use and see what he needs after that.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:15 PM

I just started turkey hunting last year. allidid was dress in complete camo, get a good gun and a box call. thats allyou need to harvest a big gobbler.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I would start off with an easy yelper or slate. Then work up to box and mouth calls. I myself use every call I just mentioned. I prefer the mouth call and slate over the rest. I use 2 decoys while hunting. Make sure he has a good turkey choke for his gun as well. Arrowmaster
Old 12-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: streetbiker120

I just started turkey hunting last year. allidid was dress in complete camo, get a good gun and a box call. thats allyou need to harvest a big gobbler.
and a lil luck helps, lol......
great advice given as usual....i personally like friction calls, primos power crystal is a sweet sounding production call....i started wearing my duck hunting hat instead of a baseball cap, for some reason it has brought me luck, so maybe he can still wear his duck hat in remembrance of his duck days....he'll never want to go duck hunting again after he has a big ol bird gobbling and coming in to his call all puffed up, spitting and druming, there's nothing better....good luck to him and to you, you need to get into it too.......

Quick Reply: Need some help guys...and girls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.