Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need some help guys...and girls >

Need some help guys...and girls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help guys...and girls

Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some help guys...and girls

Hello and welcome aboard duck-h-wife!!First off I would suggest your husbnd sittin down with the computor here and start postin away!!Alot of knowledgable folk around here ready to share advice when it comes to huntin turks!!But also let me suggest getting your hands on a few good how-to dvd's!!The video world itself was and still is very instrumental in making turkey hunting such a fun fast growing sport!Theres plenty to choose from out there and everyone has there own personal favorites!Hunters Specialties offers a great series of videos dealing with the calls themselves to the hunt!My own personal preference are Denny Gulvas's line of videos of in moho are the most comprehensive out there to learn from!You can find all these by running a search on midwest turkey hunting supply!!Good luck Bob....
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

don't forget about thermocells....they are must in florida cause of the skeeters...i'm sure texas has skeeters too...he'll LOVE it!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

These Texas Rio Grande turkeys seem to like the higher pitched calls. Buy him a nice glass or crystal call. The Primos Power Crystal is nice. It takes a lot to rough up the surface to make it play well but it's a good call and costs about $18 or so.
A good box call is hard to beat. Primos makes one called the box cutter that sounds good. Lynch makes several box calls, all are good. Cost...around $20-35.
www.hookscalls.com These folks sell some great calls for great prices. You would be doing him a favor to buy their crystal call and box call and toss in a couple of "Sassy Gal 2" mouth calls for him to learn on.
He'll need camoflage to wear. Turkeys see very well. Decoys are optional but if you buy some try to get Feather Flex decoys. A hen decoy and a jake decoy will probably do just fine.
If you want to spend more...a turkey vest is a good thing to have. Check e-bay for good prices on vests.
Good luck, he's lucky to have a wife that wants to give him good thoughtful gifts.