Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

white turkeys

Old 12-03-2005, 08:22 PM

Default RE: white turkeys

I don't know where the "domesticated turkey guessing" came from, but out here in the west, it is a recessive gene. In the canyons of the central coast of California, you can definately tell that the "whites" to not resemble the stature of domesticated birds. Maybe out in south Dakota where CJ and others reside there might be a cross breeding, but out in the west, its an common anomaly.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thought this was a pretty cool pic!!Looks wild enough to me standin next to his brother.....
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend hunted a white tom last season. He saw it on the roost; white with a black beard. He didn'tget the gobbler last year, but will try again this season. The white gobbler is roosting in nearly the same treeas last year. It'll make a nice mount.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 AM

There have been many articles published by the NWTF on this subject.

Although you cannot ever rule out people interbreeding domestic turkeys with a wild bird and the like, there is a well documented and genetically proven color phase of the wild turkey. It's called the 'smoke' phase. Seen much more frequently in the southern states and pockets out west, it is definately there.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=466&q=152421

An article from the PA Game Commission including an excerpt about the color phases.

Article on NWTF website. Look under the 'Feathers' heading.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER

last year turkey & turkey hunting mag. had an artical about these turkeys. i wish i could find it. but i know they said it had nothing to do w/ domestic breeding.
This month's issue (Lovett Williams) said the same thing.

Hal
Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Thought this was a pretty cool pic!!Looks wild enough to me standin next to his brother.....
That does look cool. Sorry - the 'white' ones I was referring to don't look like that. The ones I've seen aren't white/smoke colored with dark accents/feather tips; they're white, with pinkish features. Some have some dark 'blotches' which gives a coloring similar to Paint horses. Pretty sure those are crossed and not a phase like the one in this picture.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found this picture on a Photographer's site, but I cannot seem to find a picture of atrue albino WILD turkey. So they MUST be very rare! Anyway, I've never seenany white WILD turkey in Florida or Alabama. If I did my first thought would be that it had been cross-bred, but, the domestic turkey has noticably shorter legs than a Wild Turkey. And the ones I've seen are fat.

Just my 2 cents,
Trae

Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Thought this was a pretty cool pic!!Looks wild enough to me standing next to his brother.....

Awesome! In over 50yrs in the field, have never seen a Turkey like this one!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found a good picture of a Domestic Turkey. There is NOTHING in this bird that even faintly resembles a Wild Turkey!

I mean, yea, they look alike, but noticethe attitude, the healthly verses unhealthy, the spirit, the short legs verses the longer ones.

I think whoever domesticated any turkey should be hunted down and shot. That domestic bird looks depressed, and even suicidal. Look in his eyes, he's asking you to cut his head off! I don't think we should refer to that as a turkey at all.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Goose 11

I found a good picture of a Domestic Turkey. There is NOTHING in this bird that even faintly resembles a Wild Turkey!

I mean, yea, they look alike, but noticethe attitude, the healthy verses unhealthy, the spirit, the short legs verses the longer ones.

I think whoever domesticated any turkey should be hunted down and shot. That domestic bird looks depressed, and even suicidal. Look in his eyes, he's asking you to cut his head off! I don't think we should refer to that as a turkey at all.

It looks tasty to the dogs!

Quick Reply: white turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.