HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   white turkeys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/122834-white-turkeys.html)

engle69 11-28-2005 05:06 PM

white turkeys

hello, to all im new on this site, and really enjoy reading all the post.. but i have a question about white turkeys, on my pawpaws farm where we hunt every year here in kentucky. i noticed what time i was deer hunting down there this year, two different flocks of wild turkeys came under my stand and each flock had one snow ball white turkey in it.. how rare is this are there any records on albino turkeys. give me any info on this because im going to see about tring to get me one, this fall season.. looking foward from hearing something on this tanks for your time to read and respond..[&:]

Coyotestalker 11-28-2005 06:58 PM

RE: white turkeys

Of over the 200 turkeys that comes through my land and my neighbors, I have had more than 14 white turkeys. It is an trait that is usually not wanted by traditionalist hunters, and fish and game, since the white turkeys tend to keep the predators right at their feet, not to mention people who drive by slam on their brakes and cause an accident because they haven't seen a white wild turkey( it has happened several times, and the only thing I do is shake my head). Fish and game in California in the past, would come out and thin the availability of white turkeys appearing. Records, I am not sure of, but generally the whites here are regarded as sore thumbs for the coyotes and bobcats, so I am happy to take some through the year to help with that. I took one some years back at weighed a hefty 21 pounds.....and good eating if you prepare it well...Deep fryer all the way over here in Cali...

engle69 11-28-2005 07:21 PM

thank you for the reply it all make sence of what you said. i didnt know if it was a rare thing or not but im going to try to get me one it would look good in my hunting room. thanks again

PA GOBBLER 11-28-2005 08:17 PM

my friend shot a white hen this year in SD. he is getting it mounted i saw pics and its really cool looking

Rebel Hog 11-28-2005 11:28 PM

You sure it was'nt someones pet?:D

TurkeyStalker 11-29-2005 05:57 AM

I think that the solidwhites are a product of cross breeding with a domestic somewhere. Now I have seen several turkeys in Indiana that were pie-bald. I am starting to see alot of copper fase colors also. Like mentioned alot of hunters will remove these birds from the flock, If I had a shot at oneI would take it. LAst spring i saw a huge pie-bald tom that had, i bet a 13 inch beard. I would love to have him mounted.

Rebel Hog 11-29-2005 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

I think that the solidwhites are a product of cross breeding with a domestic somewhere. Now I have seen several turkeys in Indiana that were pie-bald. I am starting to see alot of copper fase colors also. Like mentioned alot of hunters will remove these birds from the flock, If I had a shot at oneI would take it. LAst spring i saw a huge pie-bald tom that had, i bet a 13 inch beard. I would love to have him mounted.

Yeah, that's possible!

knemohunter 11-29-2005 02:34 PM

I have never seen a white turkey in the wild, but I know a few years ago here in Missouri there was a turkey taken by a guy that would have been the state record for weight, but it ended up the turkey had a little to much white on it and I guess with DNA testing the MDC decided it was a domestic and wid turkey mix. The turkey was not allowed to be therecord.

c j 12-03-2005 07:00 PM

My guess is that the majority of the white turkeys are (former) domestics. Which, of course is all the more reason to take them out when you get a chance.

PA GOBBLER 12-03-2005 08:22 PM

last year turkey & turkey hunting mag. had an artical about these turkeys. i wish i could find it. but i know they said it had nothing to do w/ domestic breeding.