Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A NH turkey story

Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default A NH turkey story

Well, first blood inmy new truck was TURKEY! Went out this evening around 4:30 and was too late, four birds were already in the field. So I let them feed their way out of the field into another one and began my plan out another hunt. I walked as quiet as I could down through the hedgerow towards the field they went into. As I got up to that field I didn't see the birds anywhere. I put out a few long yelps with my mouth call and waited thinking they might hear my yelps or even feed back up my way seeing it was still early. After countless thoughts of moving closer I saw them coming back up the field I was actually happy to see only two gobblers working their way up the edge of the field. Seeing I didn't get to set up my blind, the less birds around the better my chances of not being seen trying to draw on one. Gave a few more calls once I saw them both together so I could see their reaction and it was a good one. They both looked up in my direction and at one point started to run
The two birds made as far as 30 yards before they cut through the hedgerow I was in and started to feed in the field to my right. I watched them so hard I didn't even see the other 7 birds coming up in the field to my left. Now I was in a bad spot! not knowing which way to face with the bow or which bird would give the best shot. I decided to go with the birds in the left field because I didn't have to move my body to get the shot off. But who else was hunting with me? Murphy, Murphy's Law that is[:@] the birds in the right field moved closer to me faster than the other ones did and I had to make a quick position move. I got my bow around but before I could move my body! I saw them through the briar bush so I drew back. Being twisted with my knees facing one way and my upper body facing the other way it took me longer to settled into my anchor point. I remember having to double check my anchor because I wanted to make sure I was right. Just as I moved my head and settled into it the gobbler must have saw movement and stopped dead in his tracks! Knowing I was only 3 yards away from the bush and he was just on the other side I took the shot through the bush.
THUMPED him right in the chest and as I jumped up I could see he was hit. He staggered down the field with both wings half open and tripping over his own two feet My arrow was about 5 yards from where he was standing so I knew it must have hit solid Found him about 40 yards down the hill in the same hedgerow I shot from. He tried to cross over but with the thick briars and the fact my arrow just passed through him he couldn't My buddies shop was closed so I didn't check him in yet. When I do in the morning I'll have the stats on him. He's not one of the longbeards but I don't care, it was an AWESOME hunt

17.5lbs 7.5" beard with 5/8 & 13/16 for spurs

Old 09-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A NH turkey story

Great pics and story to boot!!!!Thanks for the post![8D][8D]
Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM

Whoo hooo!

Awesome story and great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man your fall season comes in a little early dosent it!!!!!?????
Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry for not getting back until now! We just got in from TX and man was it hot down there [:'(]

First of all, Thanks for the complements!Fall hunting gobblers with the bow is a blast Our deer andturkey both opens on the Sept. 15thand bear on the Sept. 1st. Just before we took off for TX it was getting cool enought that I kinda wished I stayed home so I could try for a buck. I'll have my chance this Friday night and this weekend. Thanks again