Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
When to use what turkey sound? >

When to use what turkey sound?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

When to use what turkey sound?

Old 01-09-2002, 06:33 PM

Default When to use what turkey sound?

I have read plenty of posts about what calls people are using on this board. Now how about giving a beginner a few pointers on when to use what exact sounds? I don't want to scare a gobbler off by sounding like a hen that is telling him there's danger or something. Help me out veterans! Give some examples, please.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:56 PM

Default RE: When to use what turkey sound?

Great question, I would like to know that same thing.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:31 PM

I guess for me two calls I would not use is the alarm putt and the gobble. I don't gobble in the spring cause I hunt on public land and private with hunters close by. The alarm putt is a sharp toned pop with a quick cadence telling other turkeys in the area, lets hit the road.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meaning of Calls;

Basic Yelp- Turkey Talk among other birds, anywhere from 5 - 10 notes.

Tree Yelp- a very soft call done by the hen's in the Roost 4-6 notes.

Cluck- it is an attention call,usely a single note or a few with a space between then.

Cut-Excited Call, an irregulared beat or unevenly spaced notes.

Cackle-Movement Call, flying to and from a roost site , or from the ground flying over objects. A fast single note call.

Putt- Alarmed Call, a Call that turkeys make to alarm others. a load cluck like sound that is unevenly spaced out.

Purr- Content call,moveing undistrurbed.

Load Purr- a spaceing call , a Call for turkeys to keep there space as they feed.

Kee-KeeandKee-Kee-Run made from a young lost bird when trying to regoup sounds like whistleing in different pitches. The Run is a yelp added to the Whistle.

Gobble a Hen attactor , Love call.

Hope that helps with the start....BT
Old 01-09-2002, 08:42 PM

Here's a site with the different turkey sounds on it. I use it all the time for the kee kee runs (I just haven't used them much and want to be able to as I've heard they aren't just a fall call).

http://www.vaturkey.com/sounds.htm

Good Luck!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-10-2002, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best I can describe it is.Start soft and keep building till ya find what he likes then stick with it .As he gets closer tone it back down.That's pretty basic but it'll get ya started.After awhile you'll just get a feel for when and what calls to use.Good Luck
Old 01-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

.i dont have much to add,but for me i had a ole turkey hunter tell me to stick with the basic yelp,my first year out,and then build from there get out with the turkeys,liston to every sound they make,and go for it,must have been some good advise,that ole hunter has since past away,but he is not forgotten.....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-10-2002, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

BossTom pretty muched summed it up. One thing I will add is if you have a Gobbler with hens. Switch your calling to the hens. Agressive yelps and cutting can fire them up. I have had this work on several occasions for me. Typically if you can call in the hen, you should see the tail fan coming not far behind.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: When to use what turkey sound?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.