Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Bino's for turkey hunting >

Bino's for turkey hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bino's for turkey hunting

Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bino's for turkey hunting

This question came to mined and I thought I would ask and see what kind of Optic's you guy's and gal's are using.

Over the years I have had a number of different bino's and some has only lasted a season. I own a pair of safaries 20X40 , but they are way to big to carry, so pocket size seemed to be the way in 10x25. Well last year they just didn't seem to cut it.

What kind of optics do you have and use for turk hunting ? ...BT
Old 08-26-2005, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bino's for turkey hunting

Adrian, like you, I was looking for a similar pair last year for archery hunting as well. I ended up getting a pair of Bushnell legends in the 8x32 power. I was very impressed with the quality of these binocs for the money. Compared to the high end European models, I really couldn't tell the difference. Check them out at Gander Mountain, that's where I bought mine from. They have many different models to compare.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 AM

I had i pair of stiener compact binos that i liked for the first week i used them. I got home after hunting.one day and when i pulled them out of my bag they were in two pieces. after that i got nikons and there alot better.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a pair of Minolta compact 10x's but I had to retire them due to excessive abuse.

I was all set to buy a pair of Nikons (8-24 Eagleview in Camo for $150'ish if my memory serves me) when I tried out these 39.00 Bushnell compacts that were just as clear and 1/4 the price. I'm at work now, so I can't check them out exactly, but they're really low-profile and 8-15x zoom. Their only weakness is that they are bad in low light, but that's basically the case with any compact.

On 15x, you can see the beard easily and if he's standing in the right spot, I've even checked the spurs. Definitely a good buy at $40, and I've beat them up pretty good, but they're holding up to the challenge.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM

I got a real good deal off E-bay for a pair of Bushnell Legend 9X25's and they have served me real well. I am primarily a field turkey hunter.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys, I've had a number of pocket size 10X25's and have found that the power is good , but quality is not the greatest and after using some 10X40's this passed spring that had the quaulity they were just a little large for my liking to carry on chest straps. So I have poundered with the idea of getting a pair inbewteen. So I have bought a pair of 10X30 Zeiss the size and weight is about right and I'm hoping these will hit the two worlds I was after. Got them on Ebay aswell...BT
Old 08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian thats a nice pair of optics you got there bud!Ziess is a little out of this ole boys price range but you cant get much of a better set of binos,incredibly clear!My brother-in-law uses a pair of Conquests(Ziess)and holy cow they are awesome to say the least!This last year I really liked my Bushnell Trophy series,10-27's!They were only a quarter of the price and got the job done adequately enough!But if I could afford it I'd have a pair of those Conquests!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Adrian,

I bought a pair of Pentax 8X42s' back in 2002 and have had good luck with them. For the life of me I can't remember the model number and they're out in my truck. They are exceptionally clear and once you have them adjusted to your eyesight you can lock them so that the seting doesn't change.
dog1
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob , I couldn't afford them either says the wife ! but I can't take them back now

Thanks for your comments guys , I can't wait to see if I got taken [:'(]...BT