Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heavy Shot # Suggestion

Old 08-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heavy Shot # Suggestion

Mastevt , your one of the very few that are taking 25 yard shots with #6 loads , Most don't seem to understand that #6 kills better at 25 them 45 ...BT
Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey's seem to love my New Winchester x-tended range 3 1/2 6's. for some reason they all want to come home with me and do. Best pattern out of my superx2. 70 plus pellets in head and neck at 40 yards, hard to argue with those numbers. Be careful about hevi-shot some choke companies don't reccommend them out of there chokes.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to disagree...but simple physics state that
Force = Mass * Acceleration

With the advent of the newer loads, such as Hevi-shot and X-tended range, the force delivered from their #6 shot is almost equivalent to the force delivered from copper-plated or straight lead. Why? Simple...increased acceleration, coupled with a denser pattern. Hence, the center of mass is denser & more compact, delivering the same force.

Hey Boss...the 20+ pound gobbler I took at 45 yards this Spring will beg to differ with your dismay at long shots with #6.

But alas, I will also agree. I do not like to take shots longer than 35 yards with #6. I harvested that bird in an open clearing, where there was no chance for shot deflection or scatter.

Back to topic. I always shot the Win Supremes, and in my Ithaca found that the Win X-tended patterned much better/consistent than the Rem Hevi.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

S&R , I never said that 6# would not kill , it will at that range , but what I'm saying if you reread it is there are more missing shots at 45-50 yards with #6 then you hear of. Now 20lb gobber or a 16 lb gobbler at 45 yards with #6 with a gun that is not over tight could possibly miss or wound the bird. I'm sorry but I see it to much every year and talk to to many guys hunting that allways tell me the same story , I shot but missed and I ask what loads and #6 is the highest %used...BT
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot the gun and what ever patterns the best shot it, it will cost some money, but you will have piece of mind. 5's seem to be hot right now, but 6's killed every bird I have. Don't let people fool you, 6's kill and will continue to kill birds, you just have to know your weapon at it's range with each shot.