Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

choke for heavy-shot?

Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 AM

Default choke for heavy-shot?

Any feedback on chokes for heavy-shot would be appreciated, I have a after market choke (pittman) for my 835 with a holo-sight scope and have been using winchester #4 high velocity magnum have them pattern good and have dropped gobblers over 50yards. Why change you ask? Well the model T was good but glad they changed that-lol...... if the heavy-shot has greater impact great but it is not shooting near as tight with my present equiptment and I figure it must be the choke and There are several new chokes just for Heavy-Shot so without buying them all I'm lookin here for advice as to which I may get the best results with....thanx
Old 03-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: choke for heavy-shot?

..A friend of mine,wrote the company they told him to use his reg full mossberg
choke,and that is what he uses and loves the results??
Old 03-05-2004, 01:55 PM

I have the Super Max choke for Hevi-shot, made by Mad Calls (same company that makes the Mad Max chokes). I shoot this choke on my Rem. 870 with 3.5inch Hevi-shot 6's. Patterns are better than anything I have ever used with Hevi-shot. I've probably tried 10 different choke combos and this is the best I have found for my gun. Last year I dropped a gob that spotted my movement at approx 65 yards. He started running away, I put the aimpoint on the back of his head and he did not even kick when I pulled the trigger. Just dropped. I usually get around 93 to 95% of my pellets in a 12 inch circle at 45 yards. In all honesty, I would not change from this combo even if rifle hunting turkey's was legal in my state.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Camp, have you ever tried shooting #5 shot, I know alot of guys that can't get a decent pattern out of 4's. Also try the Rhino choke, I know its the one that the Nitro Co. recommends using with their Hevi-Shot, the ones I know that have one is very pleased with it.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Thanx for the replies.... has any-one used more then one choke for heavy-shot and compared them, like SuperMax from Mad Calls and Jelly-Head or Briley ????
Old 03-06-2004, 04:00 PM

Well, against Kick`s advice I patterned my Kicks GT .680 with Remington Hevi-shot 6`s today and got 192 hits in a 12" circle at a measured 40 yards. I still have to try my Browning ported turkey choke but I think I`m sold on Hevi-shot. Funny thing is, I think the Hevi-shot loads had less recoil then lead, just the impression I had while shooting.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:21 PM

I agree, I tried heavy shot vs winchester high velocity (both 3-1/2mag#4) and I thought less kick also with Heavy Shot BUT not near as tight a pattern thats why I figured I need a different choke for the heavy shot and looking for others how have compared other chokes etc, thanx again
Old 03-07-2004, 12:07 PM

I use a #5 shot remington heavy shot 3.5 with a comp n choke in a bennelli nova at 45 yard a 16" pattern,90 percent of shot in zone.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Love my Rhino/Nitro Hevi-shot combo.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Rhino choke and Nitro hevishot shells as well!!!

Quick Reply: choke for heavy-shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.